Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicating exhaust pipes

Re: Replicating exhaust pipes

Broken exhaust spigots are probably more from unsupported systems where the correct clamps were not used, or caused binding. However, the biggest culprit I remember is running drag pipes, and by drag pipes, I mean pipes that hung down too low, hit curbs, speed bumps, and literally dragged the road on right hand turns.

I have to post this picture of the front exhaust pipe on my 1916 Excelsior. This is one of the more complex header pipes I have seen on a motorcycle. It is a genuine Excelsior pipe, and all formed with no welds or seams; multiple complex bends, and very tight radii. We think we are so technologically advance today, but the skills, and craftsmanship of manufacturing at the turn of the century is still miraculous.

Nice,& no winkles ! The modern repop Panhead pipe issues is what I was talking about.They don't fit at the head right wich causes the aluminum spigot to wear.

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    I have to post this picture of the front exhaust pipe on my 1916 Excelsior. This is one of the more complex header pipes I have seen on a motorcycle. It is a genuine Excelsior pipe, and all formed with no welds or seams; multiple complex bends, and very tight radii. We think we are so technologically advance today, but the skills, and craftsmanship of manufacturing at the turn of the century is still miraculous.

I remember reading how Indian made their exhaust pipes. They rolled lengths of pipes over a flat bed of burners untill they were almost red-hot, then quickly put them on a bending jig and pulled them to the correct bend. But they were just simple curves, cut and gas welded together. I know Excelsior didn't have a hydraulic pipe bender back then, think they were doing the same? Had to be hot, sweaty work with big bulky gloves, no matter what time of the year! Doc

Doc, I think Excelsior had many of their parts made outside by specialty vendors. I don't believe any of the big manufacturers did their own forgings, or castings, and if they did, it was on a small scale. I have made this pipe for other Excelsiors, but I did it the way chopper builders make their headers by tacking short sections together and letting a real welder do the finish welding

And I'm certain that HD outsourced exhaust pipes, from multiple vendors, as well. Holding NOS pipes in your hands, side by side, the small nuances become noticeable. And of course you need multiple examples to really tell.
    I also notice that most HD pipes are die-stamped rather than drawn over mandrel. It's the wrinkles left behind by that process that I look for as a sign of authenticity. Perhaps chromed pipes are mandrel bent; the wrinkled examples I have are painted silver.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Our company makes the header pipes for Harley but I am unsure for what models. Maybe all of them. Made in Viroqua, Wisconsin. There is a Harley 45 muffler on eBay that was made by our company many years ago when it was called Nelson Corp.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nelson-exha...VaSb44&vxp=mtr

Thread Information