Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info Needed On Barnfind Indian Twin

Info Needed On Barnfind Indian Twin

This is a bike a friend (non-motorcyclist) pulled out of a barn in PA and brought to his place in New England. We are looking for as much info on this as we can get. I believe it might be a single-speed 1913 twin but not sure.

While I do love classic Indian motorcycles, this one is earlier than any I have experience with.

No, it is not for sale at this time. But I am hoping I might get a shot at it if that changes.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: Info Needed On Barnfind Indian Twin

Dad used to tell me about a motorcycle he had that you pedaled to get the engine started. You still made progress down the road while pedaling but you were hoping the engine would fire up. Can't say whether it was like that bike or not.

Wow, your friend is one lucky guy, Buzz. I think you're correct on the year of 1913 which I base on the rear carrier, and toolbox. Of course 1913 was the first year for the cradle spring rear suspension. The Hedstrom Indians are my favorite of all pioneer motorcycles. Man, am I envious

Oh yeah; I should point out that this motor had the Schebler upgrade which eliminated the Hedstrom carburetor. I used to have that complete set-up and always hoped I could find an early Indian to use it on. You never know what you're going to wind up with in the great hobby of ours.

Was 13 the first footboards?

I had to look at Jerry Hatfield's book, and footboards showed up in 1912, Roger. Also the first TT model, and 2 speed trans. Indian was really in the groove back then.

They don't really look like barn finds. More along the lines of well stored bikes waiting for a retirement sale. I know of of an Indian carb for that bike f your friend wants one. It wont be cheap. I can send email address if you like. Carbs in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    They don't really look like barn finds. More along the lines of well stored bikes waiting for a retirement sale. I know of of an Indian carb for that bike f your friend wants one. It wont be cheap. I can send email address if you like. Carbs in Florida.
    Sure, that would be great. This way he at least has the option of putting the correct carb back on it.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Kanter View Post
    Sure, that would be great. This way he at least has the option of putting the correct carb back on it.
    Buzz a real nice 13 for sure. The rear toolbox is an easy giveaway. Serial number would have the letter E. The carb comments are spot on.The schebler update was a choice in 1915 so the soup can model should be on. I've had my 13 for 45 years, bought when I was 19 years old. Sold my BS A chopper to raise the funds. They made over 30,000 so parts surprisingly are still out there. Still even though I love the early Indians best, the HRD excites me the most

Ross, is the Hedstrom carb, and good carburetor? I've always wondered about it, but you can understand why people wanted to go to a Schebler as they pretty much took over the industry.

Thread Information