Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roller Starter

Re: Roller Starter

Does the engine kick over with the kicker or is there an issue that the starter will never overcome?If it is a flatty,your compression can't be that high.

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    Does the engine kick over with the kicker or is there an issue that the starter will never overcome?If it is a flatty,your compression can't be that high.
    The engine kicks over fine. The new motor arrived yesterday and I could tell immediately that it had a good bit more resistance than the one that came on the starter, BUT, it still would not turn the engine. So I pulled the plugs and it struggled to spin the engine w/the plugs out. The motor got super hot. I called the guy and he said send it back for a full refund including shipping. I made sure of that before I bought it. Underpowered and under engineered for bigger bikes. Might work great for tiddlers which I have a bunch of. Moving on to my next failure. DocZ is on my list to try. Know where one is not too far. Seadub

3. Re: Roller Starter

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    The engine kicks over fine. The new motor arrived yesterday and I could tell immediately that it had a good bit more resistance than the one that came on the starter, BUT, it still would not turn the engine. So I pulled the plugs and it struggled to spin the engine w/the plugs out. The motor got super hot. I called the guy and he said send it back for a full refund including shipping. I made sure of that before I bought it. Underpowered and under engineered for bigger bikes. Might work great for tiddlers which I have a bunch of. Moving on to my next failure. DocZ is on my list to try. Know where one is not too far. Seadub
    Seadub,
    Having just received a complete new left knee, I'm trying my absolute best to preserve my damaged right knee and right ankle for the next 50 years of my life. But... one of my bikes is a locked-magneto Sportster. I'm very interested in the Doc-Z - to bad it doesn't have a house current converter. Please report back and let us know how it fares.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
    Seadub,
    Having just received a complete new left knee, I'm trying my absolute best to preserve my damaged right knee and right ankle for the next 50 years of my life. But... one of my bikes is a locked-magneto Sportster. I'm very interested in the Doc-Z - to bad it doesn't have a house current converter. Please report back and let us know how it fares.
    Will do. Seadub

The Doc Z is all that they say it is and more. Quite impressive turning the cammed up HC flatty. I would recomend the Doc Z to all of my family and friends and tell them you heard it here on roller derby. Seadub

6. Re: Roller Starter

Thanks for reporting back Seadub. That's great news. It's now second on my acquisition list - after I replace my glass beader. - I'm sure that my right knee will appreciate it when I start riding my magneto XLCH.

Bill,
    I've had a DocZ for about 5 years now. Works great. I use it more to "pre-oil" new builds than anything else. Put a new build (or one that's been sitting for years) on the rollers and let it spin until you see oil returning to the tank. Then you can work on actually starting it. Mine's configured with two starter motors (they can be configured with one or two) and will turn over a stroker motor with ease. It's a good idea to use it on a rough surface or pin it down before use. Otherwise it may come flying out from under you when you let out the clutch (ask me how I know LOL!). Also, the small wheels they use on the sides to keep the rear wheel from sliding sideways off the rollers are a bit "hard" and will mark up the sidewall of your tire if it hits them - and it will. Best to replace them with softer rubber ones that won't mark up your tire. I use a large RV battery and HEAVY and short cables to power the thing and mounted it on a two-wheel so I can move it around the shop easily (it weighs quite a bit!). Great tool.

Chuck S.

8. Re: Roller Starter

Thanks Wallaman. I sure do wish they would make a converter for 110 Volt use!

Seadub

10. Re: Roller Starter

That's really nice!

Thread Information