Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matching a bike to original-paint rear fender

Re: Matching a bike to original-paint rear fender

Thankyou Bigincher, I saw a pic of your bike a couple days ago and was real impressed, it came out real nice, If I can achieve something similar I would be very happy. I just dropped off my frame at Wasco last week and hope to get it back in a fairly short turn around as I am working to a deadline, I want to make that 70 year panhead reunion.

Thankyou Indianut, I will check out your man in N. Carolina, I am not apposed to a trip to get the desired results.

Morgan I will try to get some pics up as she goes, I find I am terrible at remembering to take photos, I get going and just get buried in all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteOwl View Post
    Thankyou Bigincher, I saw a pic of your bike a couple days ago and was real impressed, it came out real nice, If I can achieve something similar I would be very happy. I just dropped off my frame at Wasco last week and hope to get it back in a fairly short turn around as I am working to a deadline, I want to make that 70 year panhead reunion.
    I hope you told that to Richard. I've not been helping Wasco lately due to health issues, so I'm afraid I can't help move it along. I will see him tomorrow, however, and will mention it.
    Coincidentally, my paint guy is just a few miles north of Wasco's shop. The DuPont code for Persian Red is still available, and was no problem acquiring. I wonder if the same is true for Flight Red. If you want to talk to Gene, the paint guy, you can get his number from Wasco, or send me a PM.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Thankyou. I will pm

4. Re: Matching a bike to original-paint rear fender

I had a rear fender painted a couple of years ago to match a much older paint job. To match the finish, my painter just didn't do any color sanding after he painted it leaving the orange peel. That gave me a a fairly good match in finish.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

its interesting, if i look closely at my original paint fender its not the finish we have today, there is some orange peel and imperfections.

Niteowl, I distressed my Bobber to match an OP Left tank I found. Its a pretty cool project to undertake.

Your going to do well, as others have said, to have the color matched over having it made from a code. Even if the paint is slightly off, the rear fender is far enough away from the matched paint that no one is going to notice. And if someone does notice and says something, don't hang out with that guy, because he is a dick. There is plenty of single stage out there to get it done right.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '50 Chief
    '64 FL
    '42 WLA

Quote Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
    And if someone does notice and says something, don't hang out with that guy, because he is a dick. There is plenty of single stage out there to get it done right.
    Sage advice, Fabe; sage advice.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think that your fender is actually OP...just doesn't look right to me.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

It might be the pictures. It does look more worn in person. I would be interested if its in doubt. Any angle picture i can take?

Robbie
    I agree with you but I wasn’t going to say it first and be accused of raining on someone’s parade. The unpainted area under the hex nut on the flap brace was the giveaway. Still a beautiful fender.
    Dave
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Thread Information