Thread: finish on rear stand studs.

1. finish on rear stand studs.

I have a question on the finish of the rear stand studs and stop studs. Did the motor company install these after painting or before? They are obviously peened or riveted after they are screwed in, so to me it would make sense to install them before painting. Thus I would assume they would be painted with the frame, or am I wrong? Thanks, Cam

Re: finish on rear stand studs.

I was at The Harley Davidson Museum a couple of weeks ago and was taking a close look at hardware finish on the so called "original Bikes" they have.
    Nearly all appear to be parkerized or zinc phosphate. Considering a manufacturing process, the studs where likely installed prior to painting and logically they would have been painted same as frame. I just looked at my pictures and its hard to tell if the studs are painted. But these are 80 + year old original bikes.
    I liked the Museum but It wasn't my best motorcycle museum experience. So if your in Milwaukee and have a couple of hours to kill, not bad for $20 and the food is good at the restaurant on site.
    Be warned that there are no road signs assisting in directions to the place.

Yes it was cold . + 9 and - 9 degrees not much difference between the two temps.
    Last edited by drewehe; 01-18-2018 at 02:15 PM.

3. Re: finish on rear stand studs.

Thanks for the reply and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by drewehe View Post
    I was at The Harley Davidson Museum a couple of weeks ago and was taking a close look at hardware finish on the so called "original Bikes" they have.
    Sadly many of the bikes in the museum got restored a decade or so ago because some executive noticed they had scratches. I noticed pre '40 bikes without Stepped Hubs and Post '40 bikes with them. Many errors by whoever restored them.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

5. Re: finish on rear stand studs.

That is very disturbing to hear. I have no problem with them being cleaned, but there is no reason at all to take them apart at all. Restoring an essentially brand new bike is outrageous and dumb. They need to find out and track down who ever worked on them and find out where the correct parts went and get them back where they belong. Losing historic time capsules like that is very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by camsaure View Post
    That is very disturbing to hear. I have no problem with them being cleaned, but there is no reason at all to take them apart at all. Restoring an essentially brand new bike is outrageous and dumb. They need to find out and track down who ever worked on them and find out where the correct parts went and get them back where they belong. Losing historic time capsules like that is very sad indeed.
    The parts are all there. They are just on the wrong bikes.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Thread Information