Thread: O p 64 flh

O p 64 flh

I have an original 64 FLH right down to the wiring , fasteners etc, doubt the engine has ever been apart. I'm experiencing electrical issues , my inclination is to replace the wiring harness and make it reliable , others say to repair and preserve the original harness and patch it as I need....what do you guy think ?

Re: O p 64 flh

Granville, i have an op 65, 66, and 68 all with the org wiring. I ride the 66 a lot and the 65 quite a bit, only prob i ever had was the 66 wire at the ignition, so my vote is to preserve, thanks, larry

I agree .... preserve !

My issue was beyond preserving as the cover bolt dropped and lodged under the switch, shorted and fried a few wires. It never has a fused link and I never added one and hadn't had any issue for the 12 years I have had it. I have a new harness but am going to only replace the wires that are damaged and add an in line fuse so I don't have this problem again.

Rollo

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My issue was beyond preserving as the cover bolt dropped and lodged under the switch, shorted and fried a few wires. It never has a fused link and I never added one and hadn't had any issue for the 12 years I have had it. I have a new harness but am going to only replace the wires that are damaged and add an in line fuse so I don't have this problem again.

Rollo
    Bingo! Add a little protection and keep as much of the original harness as you can.
    '66 R60
    '67 XLH
    '67 FLH
    '69 VMT
    '69 CR250
    '72 Roadster

I'd like to see some pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by grantracy View Post
    I have an original 64 FLH right down to the wiring , fasteners etc, doubt the engine has ever been apart. I'm experiencing electrical issues , my inclination is to replace the wiring harness and make it reliable , others say to repair and preserve the original harness and patch it as I need....what do you guy think ?
    64 Duo-Glide

Thread Information