Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolting Knucklehead motor to frame.

1. Bolting Knucklehead motor to frame.

Hi Guy's I am ready to bolt my 47 Knuck motor into the frame, and I know about shimming it and all. But my question is that I have the colony motor mounting bolt kit, and it has some specialty nuts and locking tabs with it. Can any one tell me where and how these are suppose to go, or perhaps direct me towards a diagram that shows this.
    Thank You!!!
    1978 98" stroker FLH
    1947 FL Project
    2008 FLHTC

Re: Bolting Knucklehead motor to frame.

Shovel, is that a knuckle frame or a panhead frame??
    I have been in your situation. That is starting a build from just parts.With that being said. So get the correct parts book, service manual, and bruce palmers latest how to restore your harley. The parts book will show you referance to what goes were. And also which size washers are located in what position. And also wich way the bolts are to be installed for your year.The special nut more than lickly goes in the hole below the generater. Ask the guys here for the best parts book for you.There is alot of help here on the forum.All the best on your project, Paddy
    Last edited by paddy; 10-15-2017 at 02:19 PM.

3. Re: Bolting Knucklehead motor to frame.

Paddy it is def. a knuckle frame, a panhead frame would be wish bone. I have the Palmers book but it doesn't show things like this. I've read that the special nut goes under the generator but I am not sure how the special locking washers go.
    Thank You!!!
    1978 98" stroker FLH
    1947 FL Project
    2008 FLHTC

If it was a Pan frame you would know it. There is a 3/8" difference in the front motor mount height...

The special nut (and special pointed washer) drops into the recessed hole in the motor mount under the generator saddle. The special washer keeps it from turning while the bolt and thin locking tab are inserted from the bottom. When it is tight the tab washer is bent up over a flat on the bolt head. The other front mount bolt goes from the bottom up with the castellated nut under the generator. Rear bolts go down from the top., flat washers under heads, cotter pins when tight.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

6. Re: Bolting Knucklehead motor to frame.

Thank You Rubone. I was beginning to think that this was going to turn into a discussion about what frame I have when nobody here has even seen it...lol
    1978 98" stroker FLH
    1947 FL Project
    2008 FLHTC

Quote Originally Posted by shovelflh View Post
    Paddy it is def. a knuckle frame, a panhead frame would be wish bone. ...
    Or straight-leg, which looks very similar to a knuckle frame.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Or straight-leg, which looks very similar to a knuckle frame.
    Same thought here. Top motor mount's the giveaway, usually. But give the new guy presumption that he knows the difference in frames.
    Shovelflh, you get the motor, or at least the engine cases,and the frame and pieces of the Knucklehead motor mount hardware kit in the same location at the same time, and all will become clear. Even without a post-WWII MoCo "Spare Parts" catalog blow-up illustration. 1949 is available, & still shows the Knucklehead in detail.
    The castle nuts go on the top (the three bolts at the bottom) and when you drop that funny-looking nut with the triangular protrusion into the hole under the r.f. under the generator, all will become klar to you. It only goes (correctly) one way; don't sweat the small stuff.
    Last edited by Sarge; 10-15-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

And don't squash the paint, scrape it off if it's on the motor mounts.
    Wibration of a running engine pulverizes paint, and you end up with 4 tightened, cotter-pinned loose bolts and the engine dancing in the frame.
    And Rubone's right about the Knuckle rear mtg bolts, down-from-the-top. All four poke up from the bottom on the ULs.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

10. Re: Bolting Knucklehead motor to frame.

Thank You all for the replies. Sarge I guess I should have looked closer before I asked, but I don't have the bolt kit in hand yet, just looking at the pics and scratching my head. As for the paint I know all about paint between parts and it wearing away and leaving the part loose. I taped off the motor mount, and foot control mounting areas before painting the frame. However I did not tape off the trans. plate but I will scrape off the paint once I know the trans. is gonna sit. As for the frame I have had the motor sitting the frame in order to help me locate the missing motor mount/gas tank bracket that was missing, If it was a Pan frame then I don't think it would have sit too well with the 3/8 dif. in the motor mount. I've been working on bikes for 25 years just never had to build one from scratch, They have always been complete bikes that just needed fefurbed. Also have never done one this old. Thanks again for the info. it is greatly appreciated!!!
    1978 98" stroker FLH
    1947 FL Project
    2008 FLHTC

Thread Information