Thread: 47 motor oil

47 motor oil

What's recommended now days as a good motor oil, and transmission oil, for the Chiefs? Seams oils are changing all the time, maybe there is a better oil since I changed it a few years ago. I don't ride much. Stan

Re: 47 motor oil

Very popular question with many different opinions and most will be OK. Largely a personal choice from experience as there is no scientific testing on flathead Indian engines I know of.
    I stick to straight 50wt just like riders manual calls for. Best to use an oil designed for older air cooled engines, flat tappet cam/lifter engines, or racing engines and most typically those oils will have a higher level of level of zinc (anti-wear additive). The zinc level and requirement for older engines topic has been beat to death. There are ZDDP additives that can be used with modern oil to increase zinc level but I do not like those. Common sense would indicate its better to use an "engineered" oil with desired level of zinc.

More and more manufacturers offer oils with higher levels of zinc (around 1200ppm) so they are easier to find than say even 5 years ago but not always in straight 50wt. If an oil is specified for racing or off road application, the manufacturer can legally have higher levels of zinc vs the latest API specification requirement for passenger cars.

I use Penngrade 1 50Wt (originally Brad Penn) I have local distributor where I can buy individual quarts but here it is for reference. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PennGrade-1-...gAAOSw7GRZLd4w
    There are other brands that would perform well.

For the transmission and primary assuming yours has not been separated, many choose HDs Sportster Primary/transmission oil as it is designed specifically for combined transmission and wet primaries. Others use straight 30wt non detergent without a problem.
    Jason Z - S.W. PA
    48 Chief

3. Re: 47 motor oil

Stan

I use Valvoline Racing 50wt on my 1946 Chief. Usually buy a case online and store it. Some stores do stock it though.

Regards,
    Sunny.

4. Re: 47 motor oil

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybamrah View Post
    Stan

I use Valvoline Racing 50wt on my 1946 Chief. Usually buy a case online and store it. Some stores do stock it though.

Regards,
    Sunny.
    Me too. I use this oil in both my 46 & 47 Chief
    Aaron

X 3 on the Valvoline 50wt, except when it's hot in July/August I step up to 60wt.
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - parts accumulation stage

Harry, Does it get that hot way up there in VT?

I was also told by the Penngrade representative if I'm riding in 85+ temps a lot go to 60wt.
    Jason Z - S.W. PA
    48 Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Skirted View Post
    Harry, Does it get that hot way up there in VT?
    Ha..... Jason, I'm busted! 80 is hot, right?? We actually swam in the rivers more times in September than in August this year than ever before, August was too cold for swimming!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - parts accumulation stage

Thread Information