Thread: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

1. Indian scam alert indian scam alert

Hi,
    A scam is in process. October 6, 2017. The scam advertisement is on the Cycle Trader website; here is the scam: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...AGE-5000350342. Here are the four photos given in the listing. Does anyone recognize this machine?
    11 by Steven Bailey, on Flickr

22 by Steven Bailey, on Flickr

33 by Steven Bailey, on Flickr

44 by Steven Bailey, on Flickr

The scammer is asking $12,000 for the machine. The engine and frame serial numbers given by the scammer are CDF249, and 346249. These two number are for a different bike that is currently on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-Indian-...19.m1438.l2649

I have contacted the eBay seller and told him that his machine serial numbers are being used in a scam. The scammer's communications and contact information is:

"Yes, the Indian is still available and I think the price at $12000 is fair. However, I am open to a reasonable offer. I am willing to ship if you are not local. I am available on weekends sometimes and it also depends on the timing. So, I am open to picking a date with my shipper that works for me.
    Where are you located? A bank transfer works for me if we have a deal.

Thanks,
    Jack
    Jack Kirkland <jackkirkland11@yahoo.com>"

Jack Kirkland is a criminal - if that is even his real name. Here is some more: "Attached to this email are pics of the engine and frame numbers for the bike. You didn't mention your location. I am interested in getting the bike sold as soon as possible as I have a family project coming up soon, which is the sole purpose for letting the bike go.

I'll look forward to your email.

Jack" The attached engine and frame numbers mentioned above are for the 1946 Chief in the current eBay listing.

The seller wants a bank transfer as soon as possible for a 'family project'. This is a classic scam. Does anyone recognize the 1947 Chief shown in the four photos above? I checked through my records, and I couldn't track it down. If anyone has any more information concerning this scam, please add it to this thread. Whatever you do - don't bank transfer any money to Jack Kirkland. The money will be gone, and you will become extremely angry. Sincerely, Steven Bailey Yellow53Chief.
    Last edited by Yellow53Chief; 10-06-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Corrections made.

2. Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

I think the photos, of the Indian in question, were taken in front of well known eBay seller's place in NC some time ago. Perhaps the scammer pulled images from the eBay listing.

The fraudster must have saved old images from a previous eBay listing, grabbed the current listing's VIN's and is trying to pass it off to someone unsuspecting, good call Steven.
    Last edited by Green Indian; 10-06-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: To remove name from posting

3. Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

Hi,
    Green Indian; I think you are right. I saw the same background, but I don't want to drag an innocent person into this, as I don't think he is involved. This bike may very well have been on eBay previously. Even though I save all eBay listings; I couldn't find this one. I'm not sure what year the bike was called; I did check all of my 1947 photo sets, and it wasn't in there. The bike may have been called a 1948 or even some other year.
    Using old and current eBay photos was a common practice for scammers a few years back, but that problem had slowed down. Maybe it is coming back to haunt us. All we can do is try to Police the various advertising venues, and report problems when we see them. An Indian enthusiast let me know about the scam and he did most of the leg-work. One of the worst scam sites is oodle.com and its affiliated sites. There are so many bogus deals on that site, that it is almost laughable. That old saying certainly applies: If it seems too good to be true; it probably isn't true.
    Last edited by Yellow53Chief; 10-06-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: To remove name from posting

4. Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

Yes, I don't want to imply the well known Indian parts eBay seller is involved either, scammers go to all lengths to find images to toss around as theirs and for sale, this bike and sale is a fraud.
    Last edited by Green Indian; 10-06-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: to removed name

5. Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

Hi,
    I did some more digging and I did find the bike and the photos used in the attempted scam. The bike was called a 1946 Chief and has a 1946 engine, 1947 tanks, and a 1948 frame. No Vehicle Identification Numbers were given in the eBay listing. The eBay listing where the photos were pulled from was #391605520823. The seller is from NC, and the bike was sold for $18,500.00 on October 30, 2016. I don't know who the bike was sold to.
    Part of this story is how the person that originally smelled a scam got the evidence needed to find out with 100% certainty that it was a scam. I advised the Indian enthusiast to ask for the engine and frame number photographs. The listing that the scammer pulled the photos from did not include the engine and frame serial numbers, so the scammer looked around and found the next best thing; the photos in the current eBay 1946 Chief listing mentioned earlier in this thread. Once the scammer sent the engine and frame number of a different bike to the enthusiast - the evidence was in hand. The Cycle Trader deal was a scam. The lesson is: if you smell a scam, always ask for photographs that only the person who actually has the bike could provide. As well as the engine or frame serial numbers, one could ask for photos of the seat underside, or a close-up of the tire tread - or some other obscure area. A scammer will often respond "My camera is broken", or "I can't get to the bike right now" or some other lame excuse. Scams are difficult to detect sometimes, but with a little work - they can be exposed for what they are; shameful criminal behavior.
    Last edited by Yellow53Chief; 10-06-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

I have an old pillow full of feathers, now where did I leave that tar bucket??
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

7. Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Yup, those were the good old days, a very effective method. Too bad we can't use it anymore...legally.

legally.
    Could you expound? Not sure what that term is.....
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

9. Re: Indian scam alert indian scam alert

No, I can't, my lawyer has advised me not to...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    I was looking for that lost skinning knife of mine.

Thread Information