Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drill Press

Re: Drill Press

Quote Originally Posted by dablaze View Post
    If you keep your eye out I have bought several Bridgeport mills fr as low as $400 in god shape. (And that's Canadian, so like pocket change to you Americans)

they clean up easily and can resell fr a couple of grand.

Craig
    That's pocket change for a Mill even in Canada
    ...you just have to watch what power is available in your shop/shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek43WLC View Post
    That's pocket change for a Mill even in Canada
    ...you just have to watch what power is available in your shop/shed.
    Not to mention a 2 ton truck, and a fork lift

It's the logistics of moving, and placing a Bridgeport size milling machine that has kept me from buying one. I've found a lot of good deals on mills, but getting one home has always been the deal breaker.

I have the same problem.I could have picked one up for a decent price but the only place I can put it is in my cellar.That model took just about all the headroom that I have,getting it through the door and placing it would take more than just me.For that reason I have been looking at the 3 in 1 machines offered by Grizzley (southbend),PM or Smithy. Some appear to be nice machines at least the ones on the high end. I would really like to hear from people that went that route.

Drill presses were never meant to be milling machine accurate. The drill point only follows the punch mark. The drill bit only follows the grind of the drill bit. If the drill bit lands are not equal, the drill bit will run off. If the drill press is to weak to drive a large drill bit, then pilot hole the location first. As mentioned earlier the speed of the drilling is a major factor in efficient drilling and drill bit wear. It is east to burn up a drill bit using incorrect rpm and feeds. One needs a good solid table with a through hole that will not move on you while drilling the work piece. Some spindle slop is acceptable because, as I stated, the drill bit only follows the mark and the equal drill bit flute grinds. Cheap drill presses provide cheap results. Cheap drill bit s do likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    Drill presses were never meant to be milling machine accurate. The drill point only follows the punch mark. The drill bit only follows the grind of the drill bit. If the drill bit lands are not equal, the drill bit will run off. If the drill press is to weak to drive a large drill bit, then pilot hole the location first. As mentioned earlier the speed of the drilling is a major factor in efficient drilling and drill bit wear. It is east to burn up a drill bit using incorrect rpm and feeds. One needs a good solid table with a through hole that will not move on you while drilling the work piece. Some spindle slop is acceptable because, as I stated, the drill bit only follows the mark and the equal drill bit flute grinds. Cheap drill presses provide cheap results. Cheap drill bit s do likewise.
    AHMEN , Paps. I Learned this the Hard Way, just like I tend to learn Everything...
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc37W View Post
    I've had good luck looking thru the ads for older used machinery (like on Craigs List, do you have something like that in AU?). There's always someone selling an older Craftsman/Altlas/Delta that they can't use anymore. If you want quality, look for something from the '50s-'70s. 3/4 HP is more than enough for the home garage. Doc
    Yeah there are a few sites like www.gumtree.com.au and https://www.machines4u.com.au/ have been keeping an eye out for used machines, most seem to be cheap Chinese stuff though. I think most of the stuff on the market these days are coming out of the same factory in China just with different branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    Sounds like good advice Paps.

Quote Originally Posted by 50pan50 View Post
    Do you find 3/4 HP is powerful enough?
    Yep. More than enough. But as someone else has stated, if drilling big holes then pilot hole it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Bench models can easily be made into floor models with some basic fabrication of a sturdy base of an appropriate height; adding lockable casters to the base makes it portable where it can easily be tucked out of the way when not in use. Drawers or shelves in the base make a great place to store bits, clamps, and small machinists vices, which are a necessity with a drill press. A setup like that is actually superior to a stand-alone floor model.
    That is an excellent idea Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    Not to mention a 2 ton truck, and a fork lift

It's the logistics of moving, and placing a Bridgeport size milling machine that has kept me from buying one. I've found a lot of good deals on mills, but getting one home has always been the deal breaker.
    Eric
    An easy and inexpensive way to move a Bridgeport is to hire a tow truck to lift it onto and off of a low and open trailer. Gets it from point A to point B for not much $.
    Mark

Thread Information