Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Old shops

Re: Old shops

This post starts with Harry Dipple post on page 51

ERNEST HUGHES ... 2ND OWNER OF THE SHOP

Last edited by SIDECAR; 06-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.

JOHN MORGAN ... 3RD OWNER OF SHOP

The building that housed the dealership had became a second home to hundreds of motorcyclists. Built in 1906, the building housed several businesses. In 1919, it became the home to the John Morgan-owned Harley dealership. In 1947 George Schulteti took over the shop.

Mid-West Motorcycle Club was founded in 1923 in the basement of John Morgan’s HarleyDavidson Motorcycle Shop at 701 S. Meridian Street in Indianapolis, Indiana. The founder, Ralph Moore, was an active member until his death in 1977.

This was originally shot on 16mm film by John Morgan. The motorcycle shop seen in this footage is John Morgan Harley-Davidson, established in 1919.

Last edited by SIDECAR; 06-15-2019 at 05:06 PM.

George Schulteti ... 4TH OWNER

Though George Schulteti first took ownership in 1947, he became part of the Harley-Davidson family in 1922 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At the time, he owned a Harley-Davidson bicycle, and when he couldn’t find a replacement part at a local bike shop, he went straight to the nearby factory. The plant’s guard explained to him that he would have to go to a dealership, and Schulteti explained to him that was unacceptable. Founder William A. Davidson heard the lively discussion from a nearby office and not only provided Schulteti with the part, but also a promise that if he wanted a job there, he could have it. Two days later, the 16-year-old Schulteti took him up on the offer.

When George Schulteti began working for Harley-Davidson Motor Company in 1922, his first job was to sweep the floors of the factory's service department. Later, he worked in research and development. Schulteti was also one of the company's test riders. During World War II, he took inventory of all the Harley-Davidson motorcycles in military service and rode more than 50,000 miles per year.

While Schulteti enjoyed his work at the factory, he wanted to become a dealer. In 1947, Schulteti joined forces with Max Colville, an Illinois dealer, and the two bought John Morgan Harley-Davidson in Indianapolis,and he and his wife Ann, moved from Wisconsin. She was the office manager and worked the parts counter. The couple lived above the dealership at 701 S. Meridian St. Ten years later, Schulteti bought his partner's share of the business. The family welcomed customers to that location for the next 51 years.

In 1947, Schulteti joined forces with Max Colville, an Illinois dealer, and the two bought John Morgan Harley-Davidson in Indianapolis.

When your father inadvertently stumbles into a job at Harley-Davidson® as a 16 year-old kid (George Schulteti, 1922), it's pretty likely that you're going to inherit the adrenaline gene, too. As a young teen, Bob swept the floors and worked various odd jobs around his father's dealership, Harley-Davidson Sales & Service (the oldest H-D® dealer in Indiana, now Indianapolis Southside Harley-Davidson) and, in 1948, entered his first race- an English Trial in Butlerville, Indiana. He won.

Bob would go on to race in many more events over the next few decades, including short track, flat track, hill climb, enduro and more, until finally rolling off the throttle (in racing, anyway) in the late 60's.

Of course, his legacy could never be complete without taking over the family business in 1981, where he proudly continues to serve the local community as President of Indianapolis Southside Harley-Davidson.

In the George Schulteti post, His wife Ann is on the sidecar. His son Bob is the young guy outside the shop 1945, also the on the hillclimber and flat track.

"Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

6. Re: Old shops

A match box from one of my favorite old time dealers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 06-17-2019 at 08:45 AM.

I saw a sign at a flea market for a dealer in Fresno, CA called Monte's Harley Davidson. It was a small, porcelain sign, shaped like a bunch of grapes. Wine country, I guess. Does anyone know if this was an actual dealership? I have seen re-pop signs and "fantasy" signs before, but this one stumped me. Any help would be appreciated!
    DD

Fresno Harley Davidson 4345 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA

( Monte's Harley Davidson )

The Miller family has been a fixture in the Fresno motorcycle scene since Monte Miller opened his first shop at 450 N. H Street in 1955.

Been pretty busy all summer ... The factory where I worked for 40 years is being torn down. Been closed for about 15 years. I'm working with the town setting up a history of the mill. The company ( Riegel Paper Corp.) was started in 1890's ,they had 5 mills in the area. I will be posting more shops soon.

That is exactly what the sign looks like. I guess it is a legit sign! Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it.

DD

Thread Information