Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970 FLH Seats

1970 FLH Seats

OK we have been down this road before but I feel like I need more info from the group, this is the previous post:

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...-Pak-2-Up-Seat

Since the last post I have spent a lot of time in the saddle of this bike riding two up with my wife. I am not willing to go with a year appropriate Buddy Seat for previously noted comfort issues. The frame mounted Mustang seat I currently have on the bike has me too far back in the frame, making the stock handlebars uncomfortable, I am leaning forward all the time. I am leaning towards a Comfort Flex, it should move me forward on the bike, back to a more stock location and it looks "comfortable" for both of us. I have added rear floorboards and a sissy bar for her, no digging the sissy bar, right now only for function. So here is what I understand, Comfort Flex seats came in three different versions:

1- First version had the parallelogram scissor mechanism, but the front of it was attached to a pogo like a buddy seat (seat part #52514-78)
    2- Second version similar scissor mechanism, but the pogo attachment is gone, it appears to have a frame attachment (suspension part #52418-81 and seat part #52514-77A)
    3- Third version is a frame mounted seat, appears the rear mount is to the luggage rack (seat part #52411-79A)

So here are my questions:

1- Will any or all of the 3 versions fit my 1970 FLH without modifying the frame or fender? Not sure what is going on with the rear fender mounts looking at a parts schematic.
    2- Is their a benefit to one setup versus the rest, preferred or improved?
    3- The second version is what is currently on my radar as the best option, but maybe I am missing an obvious issue.

Lots of options on the Bay, but not the smallest thing in the world to buy and then not use. Just looking for some guidance on the best option so we can buy the correct seat, once.

Current pic, just because everyone likes pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

2. Re: 1970 FLH Seats

I know this wasn't your direction, but if you like everything else about the Mustang take it to an upholstery shop and have them add some padding to move you a bit forward. People do it everyday, not that big of a job.

Re: 1970 FLH Seats

Quote Originally Posted by LowBikeMike View Post
    I know this wasn't your direction, but if you like everything else about the Mustang take it to an upholstery shop and have them add some padding to move you a bit forward. People do it everyday, not that big of a job.
    Fair suggestion but I actually think I like the look of the Comfort Flex seat. Honestly I would just put a solo pogo seat on the bike if it wasn't the two up bike for the wife and I. Pogo buddy seat is just a No-Go for normal size people, so this is what I am exploring. It won't look stock but it will look sorta Factory. Thanks for the suggestion.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

You're going to have to drill holes in the fender with any of those seats. The first version of the Comfort Flex seat would be the one to use.
    VPH-D

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Fair suggestion but I actually think I like the look of the Comfort Flex seat. Honestly I would just put a solo pogo seat on the bike if it wasn't the two up bike for the wife and I. Pogo buddy seat is just a No-Go for normal size people, so this is what I am exploring. It won't look stock but it will look sorta Factory. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Add a sidecar for the wife, then a pogo seat for yourself. Problem solved?

Nice bike, BTW.
    Grooving in Shovely sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    You're going to have to drill holes in the fender with any of those seats. The first version of the Comfort Flex seat would be the one to use.
    VPH-D
    May I ask why?
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    May I ask why?
    They bolt to the fender.
    I have the 1977 version of the Comfort Flex.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

I ran one on my old '65 hybrid in the late '70s because they were more comfortable than any H-D seat to date. The rat trap bolts to the fender with a reinforcing strap underneath and clamps to the cross piece on the frame.

Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

And yes, It uses a stock pogo post in front.

I think my later version is strictly bolt on, no? Bolts to the frame and fender, if I recall.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Thread Information