Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Repop exhaust pipes for 51

Re: Repop exhaust pipes for 51

Chris, the example I provided of the rear header is only one option, made by Dixie. Dennis Corso makes them, Paughco makes them, possibly Superior, maybe others. Study all the examples and compare to Genuine.
    There are two dead giveaways to spot a Genuine pipe; they have a more gentle transition from the inlet bell to the body of the pipe, and they always have four relief cuts in the inlet bell (portion the fits over cylinder head exhaust port).
    Your best solution may be to fit a repop pipe while you take the time to procure a decent Genuine pipe.

Is it less expensive to ship to you from Holland?
    JW Boon offers the Corso pipes. Black or chrome:

https://www.jwboon.com
    Last edited by Bigincher; 07-18-2017 at 01:55 AM.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Exactly yesterday gave it a look, Tom...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mqNUjcRFACLdqmpF2

Looks "good" from "curves" point of view - I have at least the impression.

The neck is quite different but being a provisory solution, should be fine...
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

Chris, One thing to try when welding thin sheet metal: Strike an arc on a scrap piece of metal & get a short line of weld (about 1 inch long). This will burn off the first bit of rod, leaving the flux extended around the rod. Then you can lay the electrode sideways & inline on the 2 pieces to be welded, (the flux will insulate the rod from arcing) Bring the rod upward to the proper position, & it will start the arc. This is easier than trying to "strike an arc" & hitting the spot where you want to start welding. Of course, you must make sure the amp setting is correct for the guage of metal you're welding. Too high will cause the arc to start faster & hotter, thus, burning holes in the metal. Too low, & the tip sticks. Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc37W View Post
    Chris, One thing to try when welding thin sheet metal: Strike an arc on a scrap piece of metal & get a short line of weld (about 1 inch long). This will burn off the first bit of rod, leaving the flux extended around the rod. Then you can lay the electrode sideways & inline on the 2 pieces to be welded, (the flux will insulate the rod from arcing) Bring the rod upward to the proper position, & it will start the arc. This is easier than trying to "strike an arc" & hitting the spot where you want to start welding. Of course, you must make sure the amp setting is correct for the guage of metal you're welding. Too high will cause the arc to start faster & hotter, thus, burning holes in the metal. Too low, & the tip sticks. Doc
    Thanks, doc. I really need to practice and I will definitively take in account these hints of yours as I think you know what you are talking about.

In the meantime and in the failure to weld, I pressed in a preloaded 2" long steel tube into the lower and corroded end of the s-pipe. This will certainly hold until I find a replacement. It ended as a quite clean and nice repair: nothing to be seen from outside and structuraly reinforced.
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Thread Information