Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disappearing transmission/primary oil Indian Chief 1946

1. Re: disappearing transmission/primary oil Indian Chief 1946

Hi,
    The question might not be directed at me, but inside the sprocket driver gear (mostly inside the transmission, but does extend out the right side), there is a brass shell bushing. If this bushing is excessively worn, it will allow for oil to leak out towards the rear chain sprocket. Earlier Chiefs just had a felt type seal at this location on the outside of the transmission. Later Chiefs had a rubber-lipped seal at this location, but the seal can only do so much. If the bushing is badly worn, it should be replaced. Unfortunately, in order to replace the bushing, the sprocket driver gear has to be removed from the transmission, and this involves removing the transmission mainshaft. The job is pretty much a primary drive/transmission rebuild. I don't know if your sprocket driver gear bushing is bad - it is mentioned as it is a potential source of a transmission fluid leak. Jerry Greer's website; https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...y=1947&m=Chief has a nice exploded view of the transmission, and he calls the bushing; 'BUSHING sprocket driver gear'. I personally would not attempt to replace this bushing unless I was certain that the bushing was in fact - worn out. From my experience that particular bushing lasts a long time. If you have to replace your countershaft gear bushings - doing so involves a primary drive/transmission rebuild. If you take everything apart, you can do a much better job of determining what is good and what is bad. If you have never done a primary drive/transmission rebuild before, you might have a few difficulties. If you have done this job before - you know what you are in for. Good luck. This forum can offer advice on just about any problem you could possibly come across.

Re: disappearing transmission/primary oil Indian Chief 1946

Quote Originally Posted by CH-Knucklehead View Post
    Hello together

Thank you very much for the input. I will post what I find out. There are no oil stains on the floor.

Best regards

Rudy
    4 places the oil can go. floor, motor, gear box, primary case.

Re: disappearing transmission/primary oil Indian Chief 1946

Yellow53Chief is explaining it very well. The chain sprocket sits on the sprocket driver gear, and that spin on a ball bearing that is pressed in the gearbox case. The ball bearing might be a sealed variant with rubber or metal shield, or it might be open. If the ball bearing is open there is only a thin felt washer behind the retaining nut for the bearing. The felt seal against a distance behind the sprocket and the contact area for the seal can be worn, and the felt can be worn so oil is leaking past there and is soiling the inside of the chain sprocket. Best is to use a double sealed ball bearing, then leakage from there is completely eliminated. Both sides sealed bearing eliminates wear on the bearing from contaminated gearbox oil.

Through the sprocket driver gear goes the main shaft and at the end is the kicker gear mechanism. The mainshaft is supported by a bronze bushing in the sprocket driver gear. That bushing could be worn so oil is escaping and soiling the outside of the chain sprocket. The bushing is pressed in and turned/reamed and/or honed to suit the shaft size.
    You check bearing play with prying on the sprocket in and out and up and down, and bushing play with prying on the mainshaft nut at the end. Up and down is bushing play and in and out is showing the play internally in the gearbox for the mainshaft. I don't have the service limit in hand at the moment. The kicker gear is loose on the mainshaft so that is not used to check play with.

Rapid loss of gearbox oil is most often caused by a poor cork washer behind the crankshaft gear. The cork is not really a seal, it function as a cushion in order to push the hardened washer against the main bearing race. The cork compress in time and lose its springiness that is so very crucial for the function. And the surfaces on the hardened washer and the main bearing race must be pristine in order to not let crankcase pressure in or suck oil out of the clutch compartment.
    Last edited by Charlie1012000; 06-25-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Charlie 101

4. Re: disappearing transmission/primary oil Indian Chief 1946

I would recommand to use the late model seal ring in the main bearing behind the crankshaft-gear. Had a similar problem on a 1941 Chief long time ago.

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...d=0030CHF52-53

you need the narrower spacer for the conversion:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...d=0010CHF50-53

Could it additional be a problem of engine ventilation? (too much vaccuum built up in the crankcase)

and

does more oil pass by the piston rings that it should be? (blue smoke, oily plugs?)

Thread Information