Thread: 38 EL not returning oil

38 EL not returning oil

I recently acquired a 38 and set to work trying to slow down the inevitable oil leaks. I also decided to remove the tappet blocks and paint them , during that process a small piece of debris fell into the cam chest neccesitating opening the cam gear chest, I went ahead and used the opportunity to replace the stock breather with the S&S modified version. Anyway got it back together and oil is pouring out of the breather vent....here's what I know, the cam chest gears are timed correctly , had someone come behind me and check. The other odd thing is when I turned the engine over without the pushrods in , the lifters were jumping up from crankcase pressure, the assumption was that the combination of the valves being closed and the pressure of descending pistons were causing it...just had never seen that before , any thoughts ?

Re: 38 EL not returning oil

38 EL not returning oil
    There is a hole under the pump drive where return pump picks up oil, check hole is clear
    There are three keys on pump shaft, check keys are ok and pump is turning.
    If oil only blows out breather when starting you engine is "sumping", replace ball bearing, spring, whack ball to seat.
    Pan and knuckle breathers differ, pan breather don't work in knuckle engines.

Thanks , but as I was about to tear into the cam chest again my buddy said why don't you make sure return line isn't blocked...and it was , has earlier banjo fitting and there was a chunk of god knows what , which raises a whole other issue of what's floating around the engine ...will try to post pics of bike later

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    There is a hole under the pump drive where return pump picks up oil, check hole is clear
    There are three keys on pump shaft, check keys are ok and pump is turning.
    If oil only blows out breather when starting you engine is "sumping", replace ball bearing, spring, whack ball to seat.
    Pan and knuckle breathers differ, pan breather don't work in knuckle engines.

Granville at this point I think I would pull the motor out of the frame and give a good look see and flush. May just be gunked up but I think it would be easier to work on out of the frame then wrestling with it in the frame. I know it's a pain but better safe than sorry and that way you can really see what's what. JMHO. I'm sure your gonna get plenty of advice and you know who to talk to for input. The 41 back in shape after last fall?

Rollo

Thanks ...all good ... most of what I found in motor seems organic ..so I guess I will see

Here's the 38

nice bike granvil, did you get it figured out?

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
    nice bike granvil, did you get it figured out?
    Yes , the return line has a banjo fitting and it was clogged with some kind of organic material

But I have to say the combination of the smoothness of the EL motor and the 4.00/18 wheels makes for a great rider

Thread Information