Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VL/UL Special

Re: VL/UL Special

Got rid of the spacer. Looks right now. Seadub

Going to drop a known running engine into the freshly re-drilled mounts and start the second round. Will wrestle a tranny into the existing frame cradle casting. I am pretty sure I won't need an additional mounting plate. Should be low slung. Line up a chain primary w/clutch installed, then move to the rear wheel hub and brake assembly. Once the rear chain is aligned, I will have my wheel guy lace to match center. Can't wait to see it rolling w/running gear. Will get some more pics soon. Seadub

Quote Originally Posted by Doc37W View Post
    Hey Seadub, Are you sure the front cylinder is a VL? Thought the exhaust came out more to the side (to miss the single down tube), instead of to the front (like it was going between the 2 down tubes on a double cradle frame). At least, it was on my '35 VLD. I also sold (many yrs ago) a '37 ULH bottom end with what I thought was a '37 top end. Turns out it was L'34-'36 cylinders. Guy that bought it had to have the exhaust pipes bent special to work on his '37-'39 frame. Doc
    What you see in the mockup pics is a complete U setup. The VL cylinders are like you say, way different. They are ready to go for the engine build. I used these just for mockup. I have since bought another set of '36VLH, one year only, 9 bolt 80" cylinders in case I decide to do another. They are hard to come by. Seadub

Got a break from work and started the second round. Going for a running, riding mockup this time. All is well so far. Things are lining up nicely and as always on a custom build, pulling my hair out on a couple of things. All in all, going well. Hope to get some time on her this weekend. Seadub

It is gonna be a really nice ride Bro.

I like it! What's making you pull your hair out?
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Known running engine that I took out of a bike I bought quite a while back had a crack showing on the front left engine mount. It broke off when moved. Gonna try to fix it on the hoof. Was hoping to crank and run this one to check running chain alignments front and rear. May just have to get as close as possible and take a chance. Seadub

Man that sucks.
    My '41 pan suffers the exact same ailment- broken left front motor mount boss. Mine is still just a crack. I don't know if it can welded without tearing the whole motor apart, or not.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Got everything lined up and perfect. Working on the 5th mount for the tranny as it will be needed. I think I may have an idea that will work but if anyone has done this, please speak up. I also found a guy that says he can repair the broken mount on the engine w/out taking anything apart. Waiting on tanks and spokes. Moving right along. Seadub

looks great, if you could only get uncle frank to pitch in you would be riding it in a couple days. and of course you would need ace moto purveying the correct parts for it.

Thread Information