Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 47 Knucklehead Project

Re: 47 Knucklehead Project

The outer primary cover shown is for pan heads so not correct for 47 but will work until you get the right one. Bigincher on here at Wasco for the frame repair. Before you build the motor check out what 37 and what 47 parts you have. Heads, cylinders, oil pump tappet block etc. all you may need to do is swap out the cases for 47 cases. That should be easy. Guys will want the 37 cases and you might get some parts or cash above what the value of the 47 cases are. Check the bottoms to see if they are matched 37 cases or if the are just what someone had an with a 37 vin. Also check the vin to make sure it is correct. Chris Haynes has an archive where you can see proper vin numbers and styles. Take the time to do some research before you bust into doing stuff and you will save yourself an lot of time, money and headaches. That s/c might have been cut down for s/c racing. Only reason that come sot mind as to why that would have been done but I'm sure there are others. Good Luck!

Rollo

The outer primary cover shown is for pan heads so not correct for 47 but will work until you get the right one. Bigincher on here at Wasco for the frame repair. Before you build the motor check out what 37 and what 47 parts you have. Heads, cylinders, oil pump tappet block etc. all you may need to do is swap out the cases for 47 cases. Baffles are still in the cases so could be very nice 37 cases! That should be easy. Guys will want the 37 cases and you might get some parts or cash above what the value of the 47 cases are. Check the bottoms to see if they are matched 37 cases or if the are just what someone had an with a 37 vin. Also check the vin to make sure it is correct. Chris Haynes has an archive where you can see proper vin numbers and styles. Take the time to do some research before you bust into doing stuff and you will save yourself an lot of time, money and headaches. That s/c might have been cut down for s/c racing. Only reason that come sot mind as to why that would have been done but I'm sure there are others. Good Luck!

Rollo

3. Re: 47 Knucklehead Project

Thanks for the id on the outer primary. The 37 has matching cases someone buggered the numbers. Thinking something happened to the bottom end and it was replaced. Gonna get some good pics of the heads and jugs to identify these. I can barely read the vin I want to try and X-ray like we do with Gun serial numbers or if someone restamped an expensive colt barrel. The case stamping are perfect and it cleaned up nicely. If I know 100% what the vin is, are there restorers who have the correct early stamps to hit these with?

The gas tanks look good they are knuckles, was concerned as there are a few 48 parts. The sidecar frame starts with a 48 would that signify the year? I'll try to load more pics of the disassembly soon. Loading to photobucket really sucks and is time consuming. Thanks again for all the support just gotta take baby steps as this could get overwhelming just looking at a sea of rusty parts

Try Imageshack. PB has just gotten fubar...

Thread Information