Thread: M88 linkert throttle issues not opening fully

1. M88 linkert throttle issues not opening fully

Hey guys, having some issues with the throttle on my WLA. I cant seem to get full throttle out of it, or if i set it up to get full throttle it wont return all the way closed. The lever and butterfly are set up correct as in its fully opened when the little tab on the lever hits the stop on the carb. It seems like the issue is in the cable or spiral. Any ideas?

Re: M88 linkert throttle issues not opening fully

Have you disassembled cable and spiral and greased everything up?
    Have you checked spiral for any burs that may be impeding rotation?
    Maybe disconnect cable from Linkert and see if the throttle cable moves freely in and out.
    All of this will eliminate the control as your issue and then you can focus on the Linkert itself.
    Good luck,
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

I had a bike that the throttle didn't work properly on and found it had repo throttle coils and wire and changed them out to stock and problem solved. Seems a lot of the coils are too large inside and the wire binds up when traveling inside there especially even in a slow bend in the coil. Might try that and see if it makes it better.

Rollo

Make sure the spool on the outer cable in the bars is located with the set screw. Also make sure the outer cable is permanently attached to the spool. both areas where loss of throttle action can occur. And make sure the throttle grip roller is on the pin.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I had an issue once, the cable was not secured to the frame causing all sorts of movement. It was like that when I bought the bike and never thought about it till I had an issue. When deciding how to attach cable to frame for stability I found the factory clamp still attached to the frame front down tube. Unscrewed it, put the cable in the notch and tightened down the screw. All was well again.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Remove the throttle cable from the carb and check for good movement at the carb. If ok, and as the others have stated, the problem can be traced backed throughout the cable and handlebar control.

7. Re: M88 linkert throttle issues not opening fully

Thanks for the assistance guys, have it sorted. I literally tried everything and nothing was working. Turns out the collar on the bars was brazed on about an inch away from the slot for the throttle so could only get about 3/4 of the movement. Got it back on the road today and sheared the woodruff keys that hold the trans sprocket on due to the Old owners rebuid job on the box. Anyone know the size of them woodruff keys? As I'm in Australia and don't want to wait for postage was just going to check out a bearing shop.

I had the same problem with my Servicar will follow all of the advice from this thread. Thaanks to all for the ideas!
    Randy

Thread Information