Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UL heaven

1. UL heaven

Well, we have an unusual situation with four ul's for sale on ebay.
    UL's have sold in the $17k to $22k range the past few years.
    Sellers seem to think knuckles and UL's are the same value.
    Three are priced to high, the forth has reproduction parts.

1938 - A nice original bike priced in the knuckle range.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Harley-...1Y72pw&vxp=mtr

1940 - A nice original bike, bid=26k, reserve not met, a pretty high bid for a UL.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Harley-...9Y62wn&vxp=mtr

1945 - Many reproduction parts and chrome parts, has been listed several times.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-Harley-...JYsFnR&vxp=mtr

1947 - A clean bike, some parts have been chrome plated.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Harley-...BYyDRW&vxp=mtr

Re: UL heaven

What you are about to see is a trending phase on all BTSVs. They have been creeping up all along the last year. Stick around for a couple more years and you might wish you had bought one of the "overpriced Us". The only difference in a U and an EL/FL is engine, exhaust, and tanks. Seadub

I think the 1940 is by far the best looking. 18" rims make that vintage of BT look good, and more fun to ride too.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    I think the 1940 is by far the best looking. 18" rims make that vintage of BT look good, and more fun to ride too.
    I agree. Seadub

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    It's funny how my tastes have changed. I remember years ago I didn't like 18" wheels as they looked old and didn't fill the guards properly. Now I love them! Bit like boat tail superglides
    Last edited by DaveAus; 04-14-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    1938 WLDR
    1944 WL
    1945 UL
    1984 XLH

http://1944WL.webs.com

Well, Uncle Frank, I don't agree. The BT sidevalve following is growing daily, the parts needed for one are just as much as a Knuckle. No one gives you a cost break if you tell them you need it for a SV. To many users, a UL has as much or more value than a Knuckle. Your argument is about 5 years too late. And I've been a Knuckle guy all my adult life. But if everything had to go tomorrow except one the keeper would be a UL.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I am still thinking that a BTSV will never reach the value of a knucklehead. Only think different is the engine and tanks, everthing else is the same as a OHV. That explains the reason why the parts cost the same for each one, other than the engine. You can take a UL as you guys know, swap out a knuckle engine and tanks and add several thousand dollars to the cost of the bike.

I love UL's myself and have owned a few, but they are nothing close to a OHV. There is a reason why Geo Smith, and Pete Hill raced knuckles and not flatheads.

8. Re: UL heaven

Well, Uncle Frank, I don't agree.
    Uncle Frank gives knuckleheads three cheers and thumbs up.
    UL's (and knuckles) are worth whatever someone will pay.

"I love UL's myself and have owned a few, but they are nothing close to a OHV. There is a reason why Geo Smith, and Pete Hill raced knuckles and not flatheads." I had the pleasure of watching a couple of pretty fast knuckles on the short track at Valousia County Speedway a couple of years ago during bike week. All of the knucks I have ridden with over the years make me yawn. I hope to ride w/one someday that can keep up w/my bigflats, and yes, even my stock ULH will walk away. There has been a lot of new tricks emerge for the BTSVs partly stemming from the Briggs guys in the kart arena. I also know that hotrodding the old girls is not something most would consider here so I digress...Seadub

I love all vintage Harley Davidson models but I do lean towards the flatheads more so. Here is one my best friend just completed in his own personal taste.

Thread Information