Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Bosch Innards - FFVRS 53

Baby Bosch Innards - FFVRS 53

I recently acquired a nice little FFVRS 53, AKA Baby Bosch. There is not too many pictures on this model around so I thought I'd post some of the innards of mine. Says Germany on it so you know its good. I'm not sure what model this would of came stock on, it has two magnets and is in great shape.

One unit construction, I like it better than the split faceplates of the ZEV.

Brushes are a little goofy, just tiny wedges. The slip ring is a pretty cool piece. The interrupter ring is timed to god knows what, the original spec of the 53 was for Indians. Its been milled in the back of the housing with only the "R" remaining.

The spring arm that keeps the end cap on (I'm missing both so I'll make them I guess) had broken off inside the case. Some LH drill bits took that right out!

Little guy sparks real nice! I have to make a few of the wire retainers to get the plug wires in but she is a runner!

27 JD (almost)

Re: Baby Bosch Innards - FFVRS 53

It's not timed to 53% . My best guess is that it is 53 mm to the center of the armature up from the base. That is only a guess. You will need to make your own caps for the brushes. Use a bowling ball. Any part of them that is missing your on your own. no replacement.(for the brush towers)

Nice! My favorite kind of part, unobtainable. I'd 3D print the damn things if ABS wouldn't disintegrate. The family business is plastic mold injection but ya know... I'll make whatever I need out of black delrin, not sure of the original material but it'll work well.

The brush towers are tricky little buggers, look like a bit of work went into them. If I get a wild hair I'll make a few...

What part do you recommend a bowling ball for?

The lead wire nuts are a two piece with a brass/bronze insert. 9mm x 1.25mm threads. For reference.
    27 JD (almost)

Use bowling ball for your wire holder. I had somebody make the whole dam tower for me. They were costly and I Did not get them. A canonballer need them. So I opted out. Later on I bought a box of mags in Austria. The whole box was less then what 2 towers would have cost.
    You know how the mag is not a drop in swap for a generator. Heat the mag up to 100 % and see if it sparks. Send it to Florida for a rebuild. Mag drive cam chest run $300 without gears. With the cam cover you'll need a drill.
    Now that I think about it. Did you make a mag cam chest?
    Last edited by rob; 03-28-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Yep, made a generator chest into a mag chest. Took a few hours but it's been working well so far. Magneto chests are coveted, or just plain rare enough that they don't show up often enough. I find crappy JD chests for 100 bucks and then it's worth it. I just put my stock 27 cover and there were no fit issues.

The mag sparks, but good point about the high temp. I have a stack of capacitors all ready to go for ZEV mags if it does turn out to be a dud, and armature testing can be done locally. Although if it sparks at low temps I'm confident that the armature is okay.

Is there a specific reason, mechanical or electrical, to use the bowling ball as material? Or is it just closest to the original plastic/resin? I know where a bunch are, growing up my best friend's dad built a bowling ball cannon powered by black powder. We fire it straight up and the wind takes it.

If anybody has the spring on hand could you take a measurement of the overall height and the arm length?

The towers now could be used as is, making another I think would just be for looks. It's only the moisture guard snap feature that is broken off.
    27 JD (almost)

Bowling balls are black,cheap,and machine easy. It's hard to find a piece of Bakelite big enough to machine.

Made a few of the wire nuts after work! No bowling balls but I might use some in the future. I was kind of all over the place with my chamfers so don't get too fizzled up, I know there are some real machinists here. Couldn't do the knurl, bit too advanced for my skill. We do have a micro mill here with an index but it'll take forever...

All Better:

Last edited by whp; 03-29-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    27 JD (almost)

knurling the easy part. I think it's done on a lathe. They look good. Is this the spring you need?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AM-1332-SPRI...wAAOSw0RpXloEP

Since I made my own endcap I'll just make my own spring. Shouldn't take too long. That way I can get it all right and keep shaving the shoulder of the bolt down till she fits tight. I'm always worried that knurling is too much non axial pressure on the piece and it'll snap... I'll try it out on a scrap piece! Found my knurling attachment a few minutes ago...

Does anybody repop the moisture guards that go on top of the towers so water doesn't get in? Probably not but I figure I'd ask.

Thanks for all the feedback rob. You're the man.

I'm also stumped on how attach/make the control arm... Hmm
    Last edited by whp; 03-28-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    27 JD (almost)

10. Re: Baby Bosch Innards - FFVRS 53

WHP, I'm watching this with great interest. I have an incomplete Baby Bosch, and need the parts you are making! FF2A....R200. Clockwise Rotation if looking at the shaft, has arrow.
    It has a fixed timer ring, and I am missing:
    -The points cover.
    -The complete leads(2). There is only a hole in the deck, I have nothing.
    I know very little about this mag, or even if it's the right one for a 45deg twin? The rotation seems correct for my Excelsior Super X racer.
    Posting pics here did not work out. I have to reduce the quality? Anyhow, I can email you pics directly.
    Thanks for any help.
    John...footclutch
    Last edited by footclutch; 03-29-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Thread Information