Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

Re: 101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

I have a couple different sizes of that spanner wrench. They are very old. I do not recall where I scored them. Probably a machine shop I would guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by dkgoz View Post
    Pisten-Bully,

I've got a '28 101 Scout frame. The hole towards the rear has a stud in it that's about 1/2" high. I haven't been able to remove the stud yet, so I don't know how deep the hole is, but I suspect it stops at the frame tube. The front hole looks just like the hole on the left in your picture. Its got about 5 or 6 threads and bottoms out at the frame tube. I can see the rounded surface of the tube.
    Thanks dkgoz, I think it's safe to agree with you that both holes are shallow depth, and since it's not such a critical application that 6 threads is enough... and some Loctite in there won't hurt either!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Harry,

I've got a question for you, since your frame seems to be bare at the moment. Are your 2 front down tubes straight? On my frame, the right side tube looks bent just below where the casting for the lower tank tube is brazed to the downtubes. See the picture below - from this view, its the downtube on the left side. I've seen some frames with this bend and some without. Is your the same?

dkgoz 101 Scout frame front view.JPG

Dave Goesling
    dkgoz

Dave, mine are straight!

Now you've got me curious, and I know a fellow with another bare '29 frame, so I'll have him take a look at his, too.

Thanks for the photos, Harry. If you hear otherwise from your other contact, please let me know. However, your pictures confirm what seemed logical to me, that Indian wouldn't deliberately have bent one of the downtubes. It seems my frame has been abused in more ways than I first thought.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching this thread.

Dave

I wanted to get my seat ready for new leather, the Mesinger pan needed some work with a a few cracks and some holes blown out :

So I took to doing some welding, I'm pretty good at adding metal... often too much metal! But it'll all work out when I'm finished:

One thing I'm curious about are three fittings (only two left in my pan), they seem to be a threaded insert with a hex head on the inside... but I have no clue 1) what they were used for, and 2) where I can find one to put in the empty hole:

Any ideas about this threaded insert?

I think the threaded inserts were for a backrest, Messinger made a high and a low one I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by yhprum View Post
    I think the threaded inserts were for a backrest, Messinger made a high and a low one I think.
    That's good to know, thanks! I was dreading that they were on there to attach the dreaded "hula skirt" fringe!

I decided to pursue one thing to completion to serve as an incentive to move onto another area of the project to work on. So I've been getting the seat all ready for new leather. These Messinger seats have a bunch of parts in them, and I had most but not all the parts... I had to purchase a couple of small re-pop parts, but I've pretty much got everything I need now (ha! We'll see!) :

The half pan needed work but I've been getting closer to having it ready to go. The bottom of the pan shows, the inside will be covered up so I didn't worry too much about some of the welds I did. And I had to make the insert for the optional backrest, I used a button head bolt that I drilled and tapped then silver soldered in place... it's going to have to be good enough...I'm not a machinist!

Pretty much I have been riding this summer instead of working on this project, but I have done a few little things. One little thing I decided to do was to switch the shifter from LH to RH :

The bellcrank operating lever, from the top of the tower inside to the shift fork is offset so it's not simply a matter of reversing the cap on the tower as I had hoped. The operating lever needs to be reversed and it's pinned in place by a riveted pin that has a flat taper on it to engage with the cross shaft that the shift lever is connected to:

The tapered pin was available from Greer's and needs to be peened over or riveted on one end:

A small job, but once riding season is done I'll tackle some more!

Thread Information