Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

Re: 101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

I like the idea of making the soldering easier, thanks Eric... I'll look into that!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Not much to report (things got very busy with work... the paying kind) but I did acquire a new wrench. I like tools, I've got three sets of them (warehouse, home, shed) but I didn't have a suitable wrench for removing the head adjusting cone in order to remove the forks. I used a strap wrench until the strap started to shred, so then I bought this beauty, and adjustable hook spanner :

Worked great and now I have another tool!

Name, part number, and place to buy please? So I can stop using a dull chisel!

Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by indian301 View Post
    Name, part number, and place to buy please? So I can stop using a dull chisel!

Thanks, Dave
    Quite funny, Dave. Harry, I too would be interested in your source for that wrench.

Oh geeez, I thought maybe I was the only one without this tool! Got it from ZORO.com. Their item# GO494155, $27.84 (it's marked PROTO, mfg #JC472) Should work on my bicycle, too!

Very nice, can't wait to see how she turns out!
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

Well, not much to to report as it’s now the summer ride season and I concentrated on getting my Chief ready, and then riding it! But I have run into a question about the holes in the casting for the kicker return stop. The forward hole had a broken off bolt in it.

I tried a couple of methods for removal but then resorted to drilling and re-tapping. When I drilled the front hole I could go deep into the casting, but with the rear hole it appears that there is either another broken bolt in there, or that rear hole requires a short bolt as the frame tube is brazed far enough into the casting to keep the hole shallow.

So I wonder if anyone can tell me if the rear hole for the kicker stop is normally shallow like this? Thanks!

Dont know if it helps any, but my 28 short frame has both holes shallow.
    If you have a parts catalog, you could see if the bolts both have the same part number.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks yhprum. I suspect a 101 frame is the same as the '28 short frame, I must have drilled through the frame tube in the bottom of the hole when I was removing the stud... no harm I guess! I've reached out to someone else who has his 101 frame still bare and I'll see what he says.

The shallow hole is only .2" deep and with 28tpi that translates to only about 6 threads available to hold it. I also found a part number 24B55/S4758T and they're both the same... and they're listed as studs instead of bolts!

Pisten-Bully,

I've got a '28 101 Scout frame. The hole towards the rear has a stud in it that's about 1/2" high. I haven't been able to remove the stud yet, so I don't know how deep the hole is, but I suspect it stops at the frame tube. The front hole looks just like the hole on the left in your picture. Its got about 5 or 6 threads and bottoms out at the frame tube. I can see the rounded surface of the tube.

dkgoz

Thread Information