Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

I’m am going to try and do a build thread, a crummy one probably, but maybe something I put up will show something helpful to someone else… or to me!

My starting point is a frame purchased this summer with sheet metal and wheels from Ross in Manitoba, they look to be 1928 or 1929. And then thanks to a tip from Indianut I was able to purchase a 37ci motor from Norway, it is a 1930 motor. I’ve been casually collecting other parts (magneto, generator, generator drive, brake lever…and not done yet) and I’ve started assessing what I’ve got and what I have to do get this Scout back on the road.

Here’s how things looked after receiving them:

before cleaning:
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Re: 101 Scout project... the long road to ride!

The first thing I did was to clean the motor and take off the heads. I could get the motor to turn over about 270 degrees but then it would stop, so I wanted to see why. so off come the heads, I soaked the head bolts in PB Blaster and candle wax, tapped them lightly with a hammer and on the second day I was able to get them all out without too much effort. Front cylinder was gouged from a writ pin clip! It also turns out the front exhaust valve was stuck badly (took me a week of soaking, heating, tapping to finally get it out… I wanted to save it so no heavy handed persuasion on my part)

cleaned off the motor:

front piston had buttons instead of clips:

it's likely the gouge in the front cylinder occurred earlier and the solution was to use buttons and not take out the gouge!

So then I got to looking at the frame, and I noted a weld bead along the lower tube just ahead of the kicker, plus more welding on the brake shaft casting and on the kicker stud casting area. The kicker stud was an offset type and it was bent and tack welded in place. the brake cross shaft was not going to move but I wanted to save it so more soaking, more heat, more tapping on both the kicker stud and the the cross shaft. I also wanted to see if the 2” long bead of weld on the lower frame tube had penetrated well and wasn’t hiding a crack.

a look at the area with welding (after hitting it with a file and dremel):

I also have been assessing the rest of the bike, I’m going to need fork work and handlebar work at the bare minimum to make this safe. the LH handle bar looks fine, the R H bar look like a piece of rope with all the creases in it… probably not safe.

creased

RH handlebar

not certain what these 3 clips go to:

and then there’s the tank…. ugly for sure but maybe it’s salvageable as it I don’t see any pinholes from the outside… so I split the tank to see what I’ve got.

ugly bottom of tank with home made brackets

after the split

And I just want to say that you guys who do build threads have my admiration! When I look at what I just put up it's pretty disjointed! Oh well... I'll do the best I can, but thanks to anyone who's done a build thread already!

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

I think you're doing just fine. I still can't figure out how to post pics with this MAC, or I'd have started a couple of builds!

I will definitely follow your build Bro.

Not rocket science here, but this is how I split the tanks. Using a soldering iron I worked my way around the tank on the seam and inserted popsicle sticks to keep the halves apart (the job would've been much more pleasant had each stick originally held a treat). The corners were tight and I changed to utility knife blades.

Great pictures, and love the pop'cycle' sticks. I'm always amazed, and delighted at how much I learn from seeing how other people skin a cat. Are you thinking of having the gas tank parts copper plated, or zink dipped (as I recently read somewhere)? I know Bud Cox used to have his tanks copper plated to facilitate soldering. Keep this great stuff coming, Harry.

Thread Information