Thread: New Excelsior cylinders may be available!

1. New Excelsior cylinders may be available!

I recently spoke with Stuart Ritchie about the possibility of making Excelsior cylinders for 16-24 X. While the parts list shows one set of cylinders from 16-24, there are a number of differences. This would mean making one design that will fit all models, but they will work and look fine, only a few of us even know the differences! He would probably use the 18-22 era cylinders as a pattern.

He is willing and eager to make these cylinders IF enough will commit to a set. He needs at least 10 sets on order with a deposit before he will go ahead. He stated that he could have them ready in about 6 months, once enough have committed to a set. The cost would be about 3200-3500 $ for a set. BBinns is looking into a sand printing option for making patterns which may possibly reduce the cost.

I know these cylinders are very hard to find and they all need lots of work. I'm having 2 sets worked on and when they're done, I probably could have bought new cylinders for the price of buying used ones and repairing them! He can make some changes to increase reliability over the originals, such as increasing the wall thickness, increasing the valve seat depth and using a higher grade of iron than the originals used.

So, if you are interested and could commit to a set, please contact Stuart directly at: jdjugs@gmail.com
    Please feel free to share this information with other Excelsior owners that may be interested.

Gene Harper

Re: New Excelsior cylinders may be available!

Bad news. The front cylinder of my Excelsior was cracked..Need to replace both..So I am looking för replacement.Any ideas? Is the project above still ongoing.?

Anybody hear any news on the excelsior cylinder ??
    best
    Dan

4. Re: New Excelsior cylinders may be available!

Quote Originally Posted by gharperxman View Post
    I recently spoke with Stuart Ritchie about the possibility of making Excelsior cylinders for 16-24 X. While the parts list shows one set of cylinders from 16-24, there are a number of differences. This would mean making one design that will fit all models, but they will work and look fine, only a few of us even know the differences! He would probably use the 18-22 era cylinders as a pattern.

He is willing and eager to make these cylinders IF enough will commit to a set. He needs at least 10 sets on order with a deposit before he will go ahead. He stated that he could have them ready in about 6 months, once enough have committed to a set. The cost would be about 3200-3500 $ for a set. BBinns is looking into a sand printing option for making patterns which may possibly reduce the cost.

I know these cylinders are very hard to find and they all need lots of work. I'm having 2 sets worked on and when they're done, I probably could have bought new cylinders for the price of buying used ones and repairing them! He can make some changes to increase reliability over the originals, such as increasing the wall thickness, increasing the valve seat depth and using a higher grade of iron than the originals used.

So, if you are interested and could commit to a set, please contact Stuart directly at: jdjugs@gmail.com
    Please feel free to share this information with other Excelsior owners that may be interested.

Gene Harper
    wished i owned an X. i'd buy a set. opportunities such as being able to purchase brand new cylinders made of modern metallurgy don't grow on trees. i bought a set of Stuarts cylinders for my 27 to have a spares. someday, probably after i am long gone or maybe sooner, these excellent remakes will sell for more than what they sell for now.

5. Re: New Excelsior cylinders may be available!

I've not been able to get a response from Stuart in quite some time. Also I believe response to this inquiry has been low, so I've resigned myself to spending my efforts repairing original cylinders.

gene

Thanks for the response. I wanted to add my name to the list but have not had luck contacting Stuart either.
    thanks
    Dan

It is remarkable that the interest for remaking new cylinders was so low..
    It ought to be a market for them because sooner or later they will crack...
    And there are some Excelsior-owners...all around the world..
    I also have tried to get in touch with Stuart Ritchie...BUT does someone have exact drawings of them.
    Ritchie must have as they planned for it.
    If so I would like to try in Sweden to find a workshop willing to make them..
    Why not make another call for people who would like to get fresh ones..
    OK they most surely will be expensive but on the other hand a working Excelsior bike is a good investment. Better to drive Your investment than having it at a bank and getting small interest or no one at all...
    And last Why is it not an international society for Excelsior owners? In that case it would be easier to collect interest making new parts?In my case my efforts to restore my bike would end in nothing if my front cylinder cant´t be repaired...

Checking in....
    Any update on the new excelsior cylinders ....Stuart Ritchie or our Swedish friends or other ????
    Thanks
    Dan
    PS any one have one to sell ??

We have worked with one foundry in middle Sweden but that did not work out. Now we are trying with an other foundry..in northern Sweden. We will rey to get cylinder lin ers for my cracked ones but i will anyhow cont unue getting new ones done

10. Re: New Excelsior cylinders may be available!

swedishbigx,

Thanks for your efforts! I'm anxious to see your progress.

As mentioned earlier, I've resigned myself to repairing fins, installing sleeves and new valve seats and repairing intake cage threads......but I'd certainly go for a set of new cylinders if they are of good quality.

Gene

Thread Information