Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bare metal protection

Re: Bare metal protection

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    And when you're ready to finish the part, it just cleans off with lacquer thinner?
    I have let it dry naturally or in the sun, if I'm in a hurry I let it get tacky and clean it off with lacquer thinner and let it dry, it will dry quicker then. If the garage is cold, say the winter time, drying is slower, remember it doesn't evaporate fast. I've seen it dry in the sun in a couple hours and in a cold garage up to several days. It will turn a light gray when ready. It works best with sandblasted metal. After it dries you can do body work straight over it or I DP it. Sometimes in crevices you will get a small buildup, when it is good and dry then you wire brush the excess off.

I have been using the wife's food saver vacuum bags which I still put in a desiccant pack for small parts, works great, it seals them water tight. I also put a note in the bag so in cause I look at it and say WTF is this part.

One thing I have noticed is that when you glass bead a part and you think that you have got all the rust out, you will notice that when you apply this stuff you will start to see little black spots in different places, that is rust that you missed. You can reblast it for sure but this stuff neutralizes the rust so you are good to go.

4. Re: Bare metal protection

i have a complex chassis that will take about two days to blast, (back can only take so much at a time) it's winter here now and it has to be done outside. once blasted i wipe it clean with a solvent as no doubt my beads carry shit from prior use. Then i apply resene rust gobbler which seals the surface and sorts out any bit's of rust by neustralising them that are there good as gold.

Leave them in a box in the corner of the glass beaded. They will never rust. The cabinet is one big moisture absorber. I leave a ton of stuff in there until I fell I have enough to mix up primer. Self edging primer such as DuPont Vari-prim will cut right though light surface rust. Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 06-17-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Leave them in a box in the corner of the glass beaded. They will never rust. The cabinet is one big moisture absorber. I leave a ton of stuff in there until I fell I have enough to mix up primer. Self edging primer such as DuPont Vari-prim will cut right though light surface rust. Bob L
    Bob, do you have to seal that type of primer?

The answer is yes, you have to seal it. I'm not aware of any self edging primer on the market that is water proof. They all need to be sealed with a workable primer. Bob L

That I do also and I have a big Snap-on unit but I can't fit my frame and all of my bike parts in it and still blast without taking them out and that means humidity and handling them. I have parts blasted and treated over a year ago with no rust and that is sitting in my garage and handling them. Actually in my garage attic I have 38 Chevy hoods I did 8 or 10 years ago with no rust, it don't get hot up there in the winter.

This part was done at least 6 months ago, the black is neutralized rust, if you don't neutralize it, it will eventually come back through any primer and paint, I've seen it many times.
    $30 couple dollars a gallon, has a very very long shelf life, you can do several sandblasted cars and I'm talking blown apart 30's era cars, what you don't use you can pour back in the jug, it won't hurt anything. I've been using it for years.
    Last edited by no6; 06-19-2017 at 04:18 AM.

Self edging primer such as DuPont Vari-prim will cut right though light surface rust. Bob L
    Or better yet, you may want to use DuPont Variprime self etching primer. Not sure what self edging primer or Vari-prim are.

Thread Information