Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bare metal protection

Bare metal protection

I was getting ready to start on blasting a variety of parts and then realized since I am not ready to start painting the parts right after blasting, I may need to hold off. Is there a good way to prevent rust from setting in without having to prime right away and then have to blast again later on down the road? I didn't necessarily want to squirt a bunch of WD-40 or other preservative all over parts I am planning on painting, but I was thinking another dip in the solvent tank would take care of that when the time comes for painting.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bare metal protection

Raw metal will start to rust immediately with any humidity, blow dust off parts and spray primer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    Raw metal will start to rust immediately with any humidity, blow dust off parts and spray primer.
    I agree 100%. If you aren't ready to prime, don't blast.
    Visualize Whirled Peas!

49 FL project
    50 FL Pile
    07 FLHX

It all depends on the relative humidity of the environment in which you store them.
    I have some small parts that I blasted then put in a cabinet, inside The Cycle Barn. Four years later, they remain rust-free. I actually kind of forgot about them, and when I stumbled on them recently I was surprised to find them totally rust-free.
    Small parts can be blasted then stored in air-tight containers, such as Tupperware, with a desiccant pack in with the part. They will not rust. How do I know this? Because I've done it.
    Desiccant packs are inexpensive and readily available.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Phosphoric Prep & Etch is what I use, it will keep from flash rusting.

Thanks for the replies. I guess there is no easy answer. I was just hoping to get a start on all these small pieces I need to blast and then get them lined up for paint all at once. I don't like painting piecemeal.

I just saw this but maybe it can help someone else. I use a product called Lightning Rust Remover and Preventer, it used to be called Bert's Rust Remover, apparently he sold out. It is a phosphate treatment. I have sandblasted many parts and apply this stuff right away, it gets sticky first and I will wipe it off with lacquer thinner and let it dry. Any rust will show up black and it neutralizes it. It is also a rust preventer, I have handled parts many times and they have laid around sometimes for a couple years and it doesn't rust. Some of the metal may get a white powder on it and I will wire brush it off before I do any body work or epoxy primer, you can go right over it and it helps to bond the paint to the metal. I have been using it for years with no complaints. It costs a little over $30.00 and you can pour it back in the jug, it goes very far and does not evaporate fast. This stuff is almost too good to be true. You can order it at 1-800-659-2459 or www.realproductsmfg.com.

Thanks for that tip, no6. I've filed the info away for future reference.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Thanks for that tip, no6. I've filed the info away for future reference.
    You are welcome, if you ever use it you will love it. After you apply it and it dries you can handle all you want and humidity, sweating hands will not affect it or rust.

Quote Originally Posted by no6 View Post
    You are welcome, if you ever use it you will love it. After you apply it and it dries you can handle all you want and humidity, sweating hands will not affect it or rust.
    And when you're ready to finish the part, it just cleans off with lacquer thinner?
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Thread Information