Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1932 VL build

1932 VL build

Ok...I am building a 1932 Harley VL and my plans are to document the build as best as possible, I may bounce around a bit because lack of funds or bored working on any particular part. I'm going to try to be as specific as possible but will probably fail at that also. I bought this bike as you see it in the photo at Jefferson in the fall of 2016. So far I have mostly torn things apart and cleaned up and have not had much time to work on it since I got it and cash was tied up. Keep in mind that at any time someone wants to buy this pile of parts make me an offer, I'll sell anything, except my soul. Short history on me...I have been building cars most of my life but my first ride was a 73 Yamaha 175 endure, bought new and I progressed from there, Triumph hardtail bobber, 4WD's, VW's Camaro's and Vette's from the 50's and 6o's then on to traditional hot rods but I always liked bikes. I cannot upload any more pics because photo bucket is being a pain in my a$$, don't know why we can't just pull from our computer but I don't own this site so I live with it. Anyway here is what I have so far including my 47 WL if the pictures post...be back soon I hope.

[Well I had more pics but photo bucket is being slow and stupid this morning, course it could be me.
    Last edited by no6; 02-18-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Re: 1932 VL build

Nice project!

Please edit your post and put the links between [img] and [/img] so pics are visible..

I have no idea what you are talking about...I'm putor stupid.

PB is fubar these days. Try using Imageshack. I'll get some basic directions up in the New Members area.

Can we bounce this over to the build thread, Big?
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

As you can see my pile of parts above. I am going to try Image Shack instead of Photo Bucket and see if it is easier. As I said I bought this at Jefferson but have not had a lot of time to work on it so I bounced around a lot so there will be no rhyme or reason to this madness. I have taken pictures but I'm on a learning curve on what to take that it might be helpful and entertaining...so on with the show. I will do the clutch pack. Getting the six screws loose without buggering up the heads is fun, make sure you have a screwdriver that fits tight. Most of mine came loose but one, usually there is only one and its usually the last one. I ended up using a impact driver but did not hit it hard, the underside of the head has a couple raised ridges that grip the outer hub. Everything was greasy so I cleaned it up and glass beaded it. Some may not think this is the right way to do the lining but I washed it off with lacquer thinner and lightly from a distance glass beaded it then reassembled everything. It is real fun trying to get the screws back in but you can put it back together with the hub in your lap and a C-clamp. The screw that I used the impact driver split the head so I have to get another one. I forgot...you need a special puller to take this clutch pack off of the tranny, you cannot pull from the outside of the hub or you will distort it, you need to pull from the three slots in the center. I made a puller but I didn't take pictures of it and can't find it. As far as I know this pack was never painted so I will not paint it.

Last edited by no6; 02-20-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Well after reading my post above I need to work on my wording, lol. I have sandblasted and cleaned a lot of my parts and I treat them with a metal conditioner that has phosphate in it which neutralizes rust and lets paint adhere better and you can let it sit around and handle it without getting it all rusty. The transmission is all tore apart and waiting on funds to buy parts then I will put it together and try to document it. I have been trying to catalog what parts I have and list what I need so I don't have double parts.
    Anyway, that's all for now, I'll be back later.

After you upload your pics, there is a box on the left that says "Select Type". Click that and select "Forum". In the next box you can the size you want them to be....

Thread Information