Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1932 VL build

Re: 1932 VL build

So it took less than an hour to replace the rollers in my lifters, I just used a drill bit the same size as the shaft and drilled one of the peened ends and knocked it out with a punch. Drive the new pin home after you put in the new roller in of course and I used a large punch with a 45* (why don't they make a degree symbol on the computer) tip and then peened it down with the hammer and used a chisel and wacked each end as was done by the factory. The lifter boss on both sides is chamfered so when you peen it down it mushrooms down in and won't/can't come out, simple as pie.

Oh, I painted the oil pump.
    Last edited by no6; 07-03-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Terrific thread! Your effort is greatly appreciated.
    '57 FL
    '59 FL
    '53 Servicar
    '48 Chief
    '36 VD
    Other assorted stuff

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Terrific thread! Your effort is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you I hope it helps others, I know I'm learning.

What do you all think...should I replace these adjusters for my lifters or grind them flat? I'm kind of thinking that I'm in past the hardness.

I agree with you. Replace them. They are usable but will not last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    I agree with you. Replace them. They are usable but will not last very long.
    You gotta wonder how many miles on them.

As promised if they did a nice job I would give them an advertisement, Colorado Plating. $150 and some change with shipping back, very nice job and I highly recommend them, super nice people to deal with also.

I put my distributor back together, make sure that you take pictures of it before you tear it apart because there is more than one way to put it back together and the timing will be off.

I have to leave now, packing for Sturgis!!
    Last edited by no6; 07-29-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Update: I am getting all of the black parts ready to paint, hopefully this week. My cylinders are at the machinists, I got a Case 152 tractor sleeve, its a little longer but almost the same bore. All of my threads are stripped and Harley used a 7/16 x 16 tpi bolt, a kit is $190 and I am not paying that. He will drill and thread it for a cast iron pipe plug, mill it flush and re drill and re thread it using a tap I got from Amazon, he has been doing this for years. To be continued:

Believe it or not I have been working on the bike and have a few things to show you. First I was getting ready to spray the frame and thought I better check the threads where you mount the tank. I realized too late they were bad so I tried to braze the holes shut and re drill and thread them....wrong, messed up the primer with the heat.

[/SIZE]

My machinist will repair cast iron threads by taking a cast iron pipe plug and drill out and tap and insert the plug and mill it off , makes for a nice job. So I decided to use a 1/8" brass pipe plug and do the same thing, works schweet!! Should have done that before I decided to get the torch out, I also locktite them in.

I painted the frame and a bunch of parts and started to put it all back together.

[/SIZE]

I have been working on the motor and I should be able to post some of those pictures soon.
    Last edited by no6; 10-06-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Could have saved some time and problems by calling Rat at Harbor Vintage as he sells those tank mounting pieces ready made. Just need to tack them on the frame. I had a couple that were stripped out on a 36 VLH.

Rollo

Thread Information