Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: How Did You Start?

Re: How Did You Start?

My Mother owned a small house "down the road" from the farm, I was 'bout 13 when a short-term tenant skipped on the rent and deserted the place in a hurry. Hearing this news, I rode my bicycle over to the property - just to poke around as kids tend to do.
    When I spotted the tired '50 Panhead I rode home to report the news. Mom said, "He won't be back for that junk. If you can get it home .. it's yours."
    'Nuff said, four hours later this skinny kid had pushed the 600 pound behemoth (with both tires close to flat) along two miles of dirt roads. Never underestimate the will power of a economically challenged juvenile.
    That is 2640 feet per hour or 264 feet every six minutes.
    13 year old kid arrives at dmv, I found a panhead ! And I want a title !

2. Re: How Did You Start?

"That is 2640 feet per hour or 264 feet every six minutes.

I weren't countin the speed .. all I knew was that each footstep took me closer to the PRIZE.

"13 year old kid arrives at dmv, I found a panhead ! And I want a title !"

Back then, titles weren't so important .. some states didn't even issue titles.
    I didn't try to get a title or even register it for a few years .. not much point as I couldn't get a driver's licence till I was 16.
    I spent those years digging the crud out of every nook and cranny.
    I pulled the tanks and fenders off, stripped about five different colors of paint then primed and painted it Gloss Black.
    I did rewire it since the original harness had deteriorated over thirteen years, likely all of them spent outdoors !

I do know I was the only kid in my high school who owned a Harley.

Thread Information