Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sorting out this 101 I just got!

Re: Sorting out this 101 I just got!

Thanks to a lead from Indianut I've procured an engine/primary/gearbox from Norway! I'm pretty excited as it showed up this week after a bit of negotiating and logistical maneuvering... but it has returned to the US, and not too far from where it was made, either!

It's a 37ci made in 1930 and it apparently sat in a Swedish barn, then a basement since sometime in the 1950's. It was dirty, so the first thing I did was to give it a quick spraydown with hot water to see what was underneath (I was hoping for nickle plating to be in good shape.... oh well).

before:

And after a shower:

So you'll notice it has a Linkert M741-1 on it, and it also is missing a few cylinder base nuts, all the primary cover fasteners, and most of the cam case cover screws... someone started to investigate this motor, likely due to some problem is all I can guess. I did put a wrench on the starter sprocket nut, the motor does turn but then it stops turning.

I'll get to this project later this fall I hope, as long as there is good weather I'll keep on riding in what spare time I have... then when the days get too dark and cold I'll turn to indoor projects... and try to do a build thread!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

You are on your way Harry. I've built a lot of bikes from parts, and it's almost like they are magnets that attract the parts that are missing. Getting a motor though; that's a major accomplishment, congratulations.

Way to go Harry. That's a major score. I am still looking for you.

Good Score....glad I could help. Another 'Facebook' score. I still have a small, but needed part for you. Boxed up, I just need to drag my lazy self to the PO!

Quote Originally Posted by indianut View Post
    I still have a small, but needed part for you. Boxed up, I just need to drag my lazy self to the PO!
    Wow is all I can say! It showed up yesterday and I can't thank you enough Indianut... very cool of you to do that! (for those following at home, Danny sent me a fork clip that I didn't have ... or even realize that I needed for that matter!):

This Caimag Forum is something else! It's populated primarily by folks who are simply into old motorcycles and want to help others enjoy them, too. Take Indianut for example, he willingly shares his knowledge and experience of old Indians with complete strangers like me, it's amazing really. He gave me advice and turned me onto the engine I just purchased. Another Caimagger, BBinns in Australia, traded hubs with me, and Caimagger Ross in Canada got me started with a frame and sheet metal... and I've never met any of you guys so I have to do an internet THANK-YOU for all the help!

I can only hope that something I put up on this site has helped somebody out at some point! (... I don't mean this ramble I just typed out )

The hub that BBinns sent me:

1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

You are welcome. I have had the same thing from the Forum....parts sent to me just because I needed them. Just payin' it forward! I took it off my '28 cause I don't run a front fender! Good Luck. You are on your way to a Wonderful Motorcycle.

Thread Information