Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 841 Indian

841 Indian

A military collector friend here in town has this 841. Was asking me about correct floorboards and pads.
    Are they the same as other military Indians? If so, where can I get him a set of replacement rubber pads? Or possibly nos pads....

2. Re: 841 Indian

You cant get 841 rubber footboards anywhere, except at the meets, if you are lucky. But the good news is that they are almost identical to later Chief Scout and Four boards. They are the ribbed bonded rubber on parkerized metal pans. The critical difference is the spacing and location of the mounting cleats - they are not in the same place as those on the Chiefs. If you want to replace those with Chief Footboards, use your old boards as a template to locate the cleat mounts in the correct spot. You will have to cut them off the repop boards and weld them back on. I was able blast the pans, weld the cleats on and parkerize without ruining the rubber.

Initially, 841's had rubber footboards, shifter pads, brake pedal covers, and a rubber kick pedal. Dave Dechambeau makes exact copies of the brake pedal and shifter rubbers. Somewhere in the last half of the run of 1000 machines, the rubber was dropped in favor of metal in these locations.

Re: 841 Indian

Thanks , it's not my bike, just helping an old friend out. Do you know it the boards pictured are correct? They appear to bolt up correct, and I was hoping to get him some repop rubbers to put on them.

4. Re: 841 Indian

They are whats left of the original boards. The (missing) rubber is molded directly onto the metal substrate. Its not a riveted pad.

My 841 was made somewhere in the middle of the production run. It has metal only (no rubber) floorboards.
    George Tinkham
    Vintage Iron Riders, AMCA, AMA, ABATE of Illinois, MRF, Springfield Milers BMW MC
    www.virmc.com
    '56 H-D KHK
    '60 H-D CH
    '42 Indian 841
    '48 Chief
    1 each of German (R69S), Italian (V65Sp), & Japanese (150 Touring Benly)

Road Oiler, what would you charge to build up a pair? I would really like rubber ones for my 841. About the only part compromise I have is all metal floor boards. Thanks, Marty

This has nothing to do with floorboards, but I have a report on my Indian 841: In 2016, the transmission, kickstarter gear, float bowl valves, and shift lever were all corrected. I can shift the bike, and it stays in top gear -- and it doesn't cause the kickstand to pop out. It took a lot of machine work that might have not been necessary if more attention to details were made in the design and manufacture of the machine. The bike looks a bit rough (and always will as long as I own it), but it is probably in operating condition now than when it left the factory.

Last night, I ran the bike through city streets long enough to bring the engine up to temperature. Then, I drained the left tank and ran the carburetors dry. As soon as I get the nasty old gasoline out of the right tank and blow both tanks dry, the bike will go to the State Military Museum for a few months.

Next May, I plan on riding it into the Illinois Moto Guzzi Rally. On Memorial Day weekend, it will be displayed at the Springfield Mile motorcycle races. There will probably be an opportunity to use it in a military event or two. This is a wonderful machine, and I love doing stuff with it.

BTW, it is possible it still has the original tires on it!
    Last edited by Coolbreeze; 01-02-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: grammar
    George Tinkham
    Vintage Iron Riders, AMCA, AMA, ABATE of Illinois, MRF, Springfield Milers BMW MC
    www.virmc.com
    '56 H-D KHK
    '60 H-D CH
    '42 Indian 841
    '48 Chief

Are the tires WW11 synthetic,could be original or replaced with original...very crappy tire,no grip

Still do not have tanks back from the radiator shop, but have received some of the parts that will make it more complete. These are the rubber mat that goes under the instrument panel and the rubber covers for shift lever and foot brake. Expecting correct petcocks any day now.
    George Tinkham
    www.virmc.com
    '56 H-D KHK
    '60 H-D CH
    '42 Indian 841
    '48 Chief

The original Goodyears have been recapped with Firestone treads. The horsepower and brake demands on the tires are so low that traction is not a great concern.
    George Tinkham
    www.virmc.com
    '56 H-D KHK
    '60 H-D CH
    '42 Indian 841
    '48 Chief

Thread Information