Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harley Customer Service Number to Run Vin?

1. Harley Customer Service Number to Run Vin?

Hey Guys, I called Harley a while back to run a Vin on my 1965 FL and they were able to tell me what color it was new and a few other things. I can't seem to find the number or the email of who I spoke to. Does anyone have their contact info handy? I called HD today and the guy told me that he couldn't look up the vin on my 1969 FLH, Which I know is BS since I just did it on my 1965. Thanks!

Re: Harley Customer Service Number to Run Vin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevils39 View Post
    Hey Guys, I called Harley a while back to run a Vin on my 1965 FL and they were able to tell me what color it was new and a few other things. I can't seem to find the number or the email of who I spoke to. Does anyone have their contact info handy? I called HD today and the guy told me that he couldn't look up the vin on my 1969 FLH, Which I know is BS since I just did it on my 1965. Thanks!
    Unless the first phone call on your 65 gave out the belly numbers which only the factory would know. I’d say the first call was B.S. also.
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

3. Re: Harley Customer Service Number to Run Vin?

Well they knew that my bike was birch white and black, which is correct since its Original Paint, so they had that information somehwere...

Well I do hope it works out for you next time you call.
    P.S. I would have guessed your bike was birch white & black also.
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Bluedevils,

I believe that H-D does have records of VIN #s and their corresponding Line-Bore #s going back as far as the years (nothing earlier than 1958) that you are researching. From what I understand, these records are not organized well enough to make them easily accessible.
    If you, or some form of LEO supply the VIN and Belly numbers, and are lucky enough to find someone willing to rummage through the old boxed paper files, you may be able to confirm whether or not your numbers are as they should be.
    I didn't think that the MoCo has build specks, paint etc for any machines going back that far. If you did get that info from them re your '65, I'd say you were lucky.
    In some cases, I've heard that H-D has records of which dealership took delivery. That might be another avenue to follow up on.

I have the Customer Service phone number at home, if you don't dig it up. It's one of those press 1 for this, then press 4 for that set ups. They were able to give build dates on several bikes, and the color on my 73 FX. Sadly, the can't/won't help on anything older than about 1962.
    VPH-D

I have gotten the information from them on my '62, '65 and '81...they could not give me the color of any of them except the '81 FXB. which are ALL black...they said it was also available in brown, which is B.S.
    UPSROD

8. Re: Harley Customer Service Number to Run Vin?

Howdy sir,

Do believe they came in brown/gold, just not in 81, thinking one year only in 82 and buckhorns replaced those cool Dennis Hopper inspired drag bars. Out of a couple a dozen HD books can't put my finger on the picture of one at the moment, maybe one of our experts can step in.

Would have made a nice pair with my turd brown 77 FLH. Brown, it was a 70's thing, you had to have been there, even 911's came in brown.
    Last edited by peterg440; 05-20-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Yes Peter, '82's were available in brown, but not '81's.
    UPSROD

10. Re: Harley Customer Service Number to Run Vin?

Curious Rod since you have a FXB, do you have any idea the stretch of time they installed lifter block drain hoses. My 81 has them and I don't recall seeing very many in the 25 plus years I've owned it (by the way I'm assuming that UPS is United Parcel Service? The missus and I retired from your friendly purple competitor after a combined 57 years of service).

Thread Information