Thread: Any info on running Corvair Pistons in a UL?

Hybrid View

1. Any info on running Corvair Pistons in a UL?

I'm rebuilding my 74" UL. I've talked to Paul in Bloomsburg about doing work and they always recommend the TO 4-3/8" stroke flywheels to bring the piston to full travel in the cylinder. I've also heard some people say that running Corvair pistons will do the same. Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Any info on running Corvair Pistons in a UL?

Why not just build it like the ENGINEERS at Harley Davidson designed it. It has worked well for at least 68 years like that. Probably a pretty good setup.

Quote Originally Posted by indianut View Post
    Why not just build it like the ENGINEERS at Harley Davidson designed it. It has worked well for at least 68 years like that. Probably a pretty good setup.
    I agree, I can't speak for a 74 inch, but the 80 incher ulh I had, would keep up with my panhead all day long at 70 plus mph. What more do you want????

Wiseco will make any piston you want

I don't know about the Corvair pistons, but Dick Linn (aka: Frankenstein) who is a member of this forum, probably does. His web site has lots of info on rebuilding and modifying BTSV motors:

http://www.dicky_linn.webs.com/

http://dicklinn.webs.com/

Using some of the Corvair pistons was a 60s/70s thing, due to lack of availability of proper BTSV pistons. I forget if you were supposed to use the early or late Chevy pistons, as they were two different bores. It's kind of a non-issue now.
    VPH-D

Published in the old "Easyrider Tech Tips and Tricks"(#1 orange cover) books back in the day. Along with how to knurl your pistons with a file and vise.

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

I sold a 1937 ULH backet motor back in the day to a guy that went with Corvair pistons. He had to bore the cylinders .100" over in order to get them to fit. If your cylinders aren't screwed up with a piston pin gouge, I'd look for some piston sizes that are close to what you got now. I hate boring cylinders more than .010" at time. More rebuilds that way

The 80th issue of Easyrider was dedicated to the flathead 80. Awesome mag full of big flats. I just pulled mine out and that has the tech tip page mentioned in a post above. I was gathering up pieces for my first ULH around that time. It says the cylinder needs to be bored to .010 over for the std Corvair pistons. They were $10.00 a set instead of $100.00 back then according to the article. I read something recently about using the oversize Corvair pistons to go beyond the largest oversize available. Sleeve is getting way too thin at that point. When the flathead engines were designed, fuel was crap compared to what we can get today. The squishband was non-existent and frequent head removal was common to clean the carbon off. The T&O wheels are amazing. Sets the deck height and increases displacement to 88" w/out using stroker plates. Can't see a thing and looks totally stock in appearance. I have 2 ULH engines setup that way and if you have not ridden one, you don't know the difference so it doesn't matter. Switch the intake inserts to OHV, bolt a K model manifold, and you can bolton a M-74B carb. Or don't and just just run a M-51L. Very impressive either way. Seadub

Thread Information