Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: clear coating water slide decals

Re: clear coating water slide decals

My first question is- What happens if you do nothing? Will the decal just slide off the first time you wash the bike?
    No

Next- What did the factory do to protect/preserve the patent decal?
    Nothing

Any help??
    Water activates the adhesive, place decal where it belongs, sliding decal loses adhesive.
    Decal curl this is caused by solvent getting under decal and attacking adhesive, don't thin clear with solvent, very light coats.

So you would re clear over decal on a un rubbed or keyed surface & expect the sealing coat of clear to stick, risky

I think Fabe recommended intermediate clear over the base first, then decal and final clear.
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

4. Re: clear coating water slide decals

The safest route to prevent decal lifting is to let decal dry out for a week after applying and just use some old fashion varnish with a brush. The varnish should cover the decal and just over the edge to the base paint. The decal is applied after the base paint is finished.

I finally gave up and had the indian design painted on my tanks. you are fighting a losing battle. the decals you are using are small and inexpensive to replace just put them on and move on with your build. my painters tried every clearcote known to mankind including one shot sign painters clear that john pierce suggested. if you have to replace your decals just wet them and remove.

Decals of today are nothing like decals H-D, or any of the other makers used. Early decals were super thin, and didn't have the clear binder that all modern waterslide decals have. Also, the printing quality was very good, and inks, or paint were mineral based. The letter below explains how decals were applied.

My painter had the same issues. Went through 5 decals I think. It looked good each time he applied the decal. But the clear edge of the decal would appear every time he applied the clear coat. It didn't curl, but that invisible clear edge would appear like a ghost. Just ended up living with it and riding fast so nobody can see it.....especially those on BT flatheads
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

Quote Originally Posted by JD Brad View Post
    So you would re clear over decal on a un rubbed or keyed surface & expect the sealing coat of clear to stick, risky
    If you put the decal on a rubbed surface and clear over it, the dull rubbed finish of the paint will show on the clear border of the decal. I learned that the hard way. The paint has to be shiny under the decal.

9. Re: clear coating water slide decals

I cut the clear edge off decal before soaking in water. I have had good and bad luck using urethane clears. With catalyzed urethane clears, one light coat, let cure for 2 days before re-coating. I've never had a problem using old fashion brushed on varnish. (the safest). I apply any clear by slightly overlapping decal edges on to paint surface. I always polish paint base before applying decal and super clean the paint surface. It's best to let decal dry out for a week before clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
    I cut the clear edge off decal before soaking in water. I have had good and bad luck using urethane clears. With catalyzed urethane clears, one light coat, let cure for 2 days before re-coating. I've never had a problem using old fashion brushed on varnish. (the safest). I apply any clear by slightly overlapping decal edges on to paint surface. I always polish paint base before applying decal and super clean the paint surface. It's best to let decal dry out for a week before clearing.
    What kind of varnish do you use?
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

Thread Information