Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: clear coating water slide decals

clear coating water slide decals

on the 6th set of decals on new tanks they either lift before clearcoating or after. do any of the decal setting solutions eliminate this problem?

Re: clear coating water slide decals

Clearing over decals is a nerve wracking ordeal. I always let the decal dry for at least 2 days; longer is better. I put the clear on in very light mist coats and let each coat dry before going for a heavier wet coat. That last wet coat is the deal maker, or breaker but I've been lucky on the last 4 or 5. I use the recommended clear for the brands of single stage enamel that I've used, so nothing special there.

You mentioned that your decals have lifted from the painted surface prior to the clear coat. I've never had that problem before. What kind of paint are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    Clearing over decals is a nerve wracking ordeal. I always let the decal dry for at least 2 days; longer is better. I put the clear on in very light mist coats and let each coat dry before going for a heavier wet coat. That last wet coat is the deal maker, or breaker but I've been lucky on the last 4 or 5. I use the recommended clear for the brands of single stage enamel that I've used, so nothing special there.

You mentioned that your decals have lifted from the painted surface prior to the clear coat. I've never had that problem before. What kind of paint are you using?
    im not the painter eric, I know it is ppg base coat clearcoat though. the first 3 sets of decals went nuts before they were clearcoated from greers. the next set from kiwi lifted after they were clearcoated. so the tanks had to be stripped and reshot. they will have to be restriped again too. I wonder what the decals look like on the Polaris Indians. I put the decals on with soapy water on the tanks that have a coat of clear and have been sanded with 2000 paper. very frustrating to say the least.

I have the tanks cleared once before I put the water transfers on, then without sanding the clear I put the decals on let them dry completely as this is the most important step. I get the striping done and then a very light scuff around the decal and the striping before another coat of clear. I had good luck doing it this way.

5. Re: clear coating water slide decals

I do basically like Matt. Sometimes I'll apply the decal on the clear that has been buffed. Never on a sanded surface. After decal is dry, I sand the shine off around the decal for the next clear coat preparation. Next I give the decal one very light coat( very light, important) of catalyzed clear and keep my fingers crossed that there is no wrinkling or lifting of decal. After 2 days of cure, that light coat acts as barrier seal and I can dump on all the clear I want with no worry to the decal.

6. Re: clear coating water slide decals

ok matt and htrock, I'll pass this info on to my painter. if it works out I'll let you know thanks.

I agree with eric . let the decal dry 2 days is good. first 2 coats of clear are very light . then a wet coat. let the paint flash between coats .
    On same subject and its to late to do it this way but , this project could have been painted with single stage first , then apply decal , clearcoat same method.
    I dont think i would have used soapy water. only clean cool temp water when applying the water slide/decal..

Here is what a recent project looks like , I havent polished the clear yet .
    Last edited by drewehe; 10-23-2015 at 09:36 AM.

T-bone
    Have you cleared your decals? If so hopefully with success.

Copal varnish......

Thread Information