Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kreem tank liner

Re: Kreem tank liner

I've been noticing the same thing in regards to corrosive gasoline, Rob. Mostly with petcocks. As for tank liners, I'm a Red-Kote man and have not had any problems with degradation of the Red-Kote from bad gas. There was a thread recently about a product called EZ-Turn for petcocks. I purchased some, and I am going to use it on my shut-off rod as well and see if it holds up.

2. Re: Kreem tank liner

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    WD40 will evaporate. WD40 is water based. Seal all the opening and toss a quart of 30w motor oil in and slosh it around periodically. Motor oil does not evaporate.
    What about spraying outboard fogging oil in an empty tank for storage ?

I've got creme in 2 bikes for over 20 years.They sit for months each winter.Just looked inside & nothing has come loose yet.My tanks were cleaned very well,cremed & sat for a few months to fully cure before use.If you have those plastic tips on your shutoff rod they can lock themselves if shut warm then cooled.
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 07-08-2019 at 03:01 PM.

4. Re: Kreem tank liner

i've been following this topic for a while now and feel compelled to chime in my experience having used Kreem, POR-15, Caswell's and Red-Kote, my 2 cents, all of these liners are only as good as the quality of the preparation process. Careful preparation is critical for lasting results. Regardless of what product instructions say, the metal must be completely free of rust, otherwise product failure is a matter of time. Some think they can do a minimum of or no prep before product is applied, then pour in the liner and slop it around a few minutes and be done. The acids of any rust left behind will continue eating into material. Contrary to logic, sealing a tank does not keep oxygen from diffusing through the sealer at atomic levels. Sealing a tank will definitely slow the oxidation process. Every liner failure that i have seen, regardless of brand, there is gross amounts of rust under the liner. As with Duffey, i have seen Kreem jobs last long term. What i have learned the hard way, is that, at least in the case of Kreem vs. POR-15, these products are better suited to certain conditions of the tank than others, mainly due to viscosity of the product and inherent with the the product, the thickness of the lining once it has cured. Kreem can be as thick or as thin as you make it; POR-15, i am guessing is not much more than .25 mm thick at best. Caswell's viscosity can very quickly change within variations of 10 degrees F. Myself, i only use a tank liner if i feel i must. I am going to be using RedKote in a brand new set of very poorly constructed repro JD tanks that had pinholes and one large hole under the layers of bondo. !!!THESE TANKS ARE NOT TOM FEESER'S!!!

There is a general contempt for tank liners, but for antique motorcycles, and their vulnerability to time, moisture, and the modern world of chemicals, tank liners become a necessity. No one is making new gas tanks for Thors, Reading Standards, or Thiems. What is the alternative? The same goes for people who put great value on genuine H-D, or Indian sheet metal and want to preserve, or save a tank that many would consider junk. I think the restorer needs to use any, and every tool at their disposal to do that, and tank liners are a great product of modern chemistry.

I have tried them all and Mastercoate is hands down, no contest, the finest, longest lasting, most defensable against all types of fuel I have ever found. I have done over 20 of the last tanks w/it and the results are still standing tall. Seadub Mastercoat.com

7. Re: Kreem tank liner

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    I have tried them all and Mastercoate is hands down, no contest, the finest, longest lasting, most defensable against all types of fuel I have ever found. I have done over 20 of the last tanks w/it and the results are still standing tall. Seadub Mastercoat.com
    Thank you for the referral!

Markt Einersheim Bavaria soon to be Portland Oregon

http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjec...?page=!WW32289

Have any of you used this? I am thinking of using it for my project.

George

Thread Information