Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 1928 JDL Special Sport Solo

Re: 1928 JDL Special Sport Solo

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    Nice score Al,you will get to know the JD crowd next. Numo[Jon Nueman]is good for the electrics[Genny and timer]
    Mark Masa and many others are very knowlegeable
    Yahoo JD group
    I talked with Jon Neuman awhile at the next-to-last checkpoint of the Cannonball Run this past year. He's one of the guys whose bikes were stolen at their hotel in Tacoma. As I recall, the bikes were recovered, but lots of rare and hard-to-find tools weren't recovered.

Alex, not to be a downer but after seeing pics of that bike unless you own a machine shop you are going for your lungs and wallet before you will ever hear it run. You might want to change course right now and find something more complete before you get in to deep. Just the simple stuff that's missing will set you back $20Gs because your piecing it. If I had someone tell me that before I started my 22 project. I would have kissed them. Bob L

3. Re: 1928 JDL Special Sport Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Alex, not to be a downer but after seeing pics of that bike unless you own a machine shop you are going for your lungs and wallet before you will ever hear it run. You might want to change course right now and find something more complete before you get in to deep. Just the simple stuff that's missing will set you back $20Gs because your piecing it. If I had someone tell me that before I started my 22 project. I would have kissed them. Bob L
    let me put it this way so i can be the board example and laughing stock for "how not to do it...." (even though i am a happy camper)

i paid $8k for a pile of parts, some good stuff, some not as good and by far not enough parts to make up a complete bike. by the time i sold off what i could not use (16-25) i was down to $800 in the project. that literally left me with a 1927 JD engine, a transmission, a frame and front/rear hubs. i now have everything to make a complete 1927 JD, right down to a Sparton horn, speeodometer setup and ammeter. My goal is to experience a ride like my Dad bought new in 1927, i have quite a few original parts and i have quite a few repro parts. i made the decision to use repro because bike will meet my own personal needs and my son will take it over when i no longer use it. so, the juicy part, i lost count, but i am sure i have close to if not over $32k in the bike. but the bike will be restored and better than new when i am done. it's the only really old bike i will ever own and i have a connection to a 1927. i can't imagine dumping such mega-bucks (for me) into an old bike without having a connection to the bike. i did not want to take a nice or even tolerably close to sort of nice bike and restore it, as i can't do such a molestation. i will say, i do have a great sense of satisfaction knowing i have literally brought a pile of parts back from the grave to a complete motorcycle i will ride and truly enjoy. so, in my case, although some would shake their heads, the experience going down the road will be worth it.

I never think about the money Alan. I love the challenge, I love the aesthetics of old bikes, and I look forward to every new part I find. Some people can make money on antique bikes, but that has never been me. Honestly, I don't give two shits about where I'm at financially. I just can't get enough of noodling with old motorcycles.

5. Re: 1928 JDL Special Sport Solo

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    I never think about the money Alan. I love the challenge, I love the aesthetics of old bikes, and I look forward to every new part I find. Some people can make money on antique bikes, but that has never been me. Honestly, I don't give two shits about where I'm at financially. I just can't get enough of noodling with old motorcycles.
    Eric, that is beautiful. for me, motorcycles have a soul. i've never had a fancy house, but i have gorgeous motorcycles. my entire life, every spare penny i have i spend on motorcycles. my earlier life, i had British OHC and OHV singles and Indians. My later life, i have motorcycles i rode in my earlier life. when it comes to restoration, no pun intended, but i can look at and fondle my old nuts for hours.

(for some reason, i can't seem to upload pics.)
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 06-05-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Yeah bro, my name is Alan. I'm not looking for advice.

Edit: don't know if you saw my other build but that was "frowned upon" as well. And yes, I do have a machine shop.
    Last edited by alanc48; 06-06-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

You nailed it Eric

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom

8. Re: 1928 JDL Special Sport Solo

My sentiments exactly! I've managed to throw away a lot of money in my life on a number of things, but I've never done it on anything I enjoyed more than ole sickles. It's the journey man, it's the journey!!

9. Re: 1928 JDL Special Sport Solo

I agree 100 percent. For me, it's not about money or ego. The love for these bikes along with the enjoyment is priceless.

Was the red and gold pin striping around the tanks, fenders and battery box an option or could you get it without?
    Last edited by alanc48; 09-02-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom

Thread Information