Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

1. My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

Hello fellow members,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all members who have guided me thorugh this journey :-). Sharing updates on my 1946 chief that I have been working on slowly since Feb 2013 correcting incorrect parts. Aim was to try and replace incorrect parts with original parts wherever possible and make the bike as correct as possible preserving the patina as much as possible. Had a good start in terms of an original chief.

- Corrected fender light with correct original light from Ziggys
    - Corrected head light with nice original motolamp headlight
    - Replaced speedometer with correct red bar original speedometer from Terry Marsh (highly recommend, a true gentleman to work with)
    - Had to have the gas tanks re-done, they kept springing a leak on me. Sent them to Moyers in PA for the renu process. Left the small dings and dents in them and had the painter match the patina on the fenders as much as possible. Moyers took a longtime but did a good job.
    - Changed seat to an older chumme seat I found off of ebay, seat pan is a harley seat pan (so the wife can ride with me :-))
    - Found a nice original set of chumme seat springs from Ziggys
    - Added older passenger foot rests found in Rhinebeck,NY. One was painted black and the other chrome. Stripped them both and had them parkerized (may not be the right finish for foot rests, just wanted a dull finish to suit the bike)
    - Added older saddlebags, was lucky to find a nice set that matches the chumme seat in Oley, PA
    - Corrected front brake hardware (from Jerry Greers Engg)
    - Most of the hardware on the bike was wrong, corrected all of it except the links on the girder front end
    - Changed gas caps to the older stanton caps, found a nice original oil cap as well that suits the bike well from Ziggy
    - Have an original set of emblems but leaving the after market ones on there incase the fall off
    - Have a nice original air cleaner with backing plate, with the center screw. For now leaving the the after market j slot one on there because it is easier to remove

Current projects:
    - Have to replace ammeter with correct original slant ammeter that I was able to find
    - Have a nice original tail light assembly with an older lens that I am yet to install on the bike
    - Currently motor, transmission and clutch going through a full re-build. I am not capable of doing motor work, just helping (tear down, prep etc.) my friend John who is doing the actual rebuild. Good thing is am learning alot from John. Started out as chasing an oil leak, as we started removing parts didn't like what we saw. Decided to bite the bullet and do a full re-build. Hopefully should be ready in late May/early June. Will post a video of it running once built.
    Once the engine is done, I plan on leaving the Indian as is and enjoying riding it :-).

Future plan:
    Saving up for a Harley may be a 1949/1950 panhead :-). That will be my next project god willing.

I apologize for the lengthy post, just wanted to share progress with my friends on this forum. I owe alot to all the help received on this forum. First 2 pictures are what the chief looked like before the tear down few weeks ago, second 2 pictures are back from Feb 2013.

Regards,
    Sunny.

Indian 1.jpgIndian 2.jpgMom Dad Vicky Dec 2012 US Trip 107.jpgMom Dad Vicky Dec 2012 US Trip 106.jpg

Re: My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

Great looking bike! I think you pulled off the "just the right amount of patina" look. The headlight looks awesome with the black bags and seat.

3. Re: My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

Thanks Joe ��, that was the aim. Tried to preserve some of the patina that was already on the bike. I left the headlight, fender light and tail light crusty as I found them.

Regards,
    Sunny.

Great job. Hopefully that's where I'm heading over the next few months.

Great looking bike Sunny, Congratulations, but if your saving up for a Harley-Davidson that can only mean you have not ridden the Indian enough!!

Disclaimer: I didn't mean the part about the HD.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '50 Chief
    '64 FL
    '42 WLA

6. Re: My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

Looks awesome! Threads like these get me motivated to get my '48 project started. Mine is starting life as a basketcase, still chasing A LOT of parts. Hopefully if I can get it to at least LOOK like a motorcycle I can keep the motivation going. Saving my pennies for Wauseon!!

7. Re: My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

Thanks alot Maineiac, good luck with your project.

Thanks Fabe, luv your collection of bikes :-). Just bitten by the bug and want to start expanding my collection. Rode the Indian quite a bit last year but figured want to get all the engine related stuff ironed out so I can ride it alot more this year. Plan is to set it up as a rider :-). This one last thing should complete the Indian project. Part of the fun for me was the hunt for original parts :-). Figured have an Indian so the next one should be a harley. Still figuring out what exactly I want but have lately been drawn towards 1949/1950 panheads. A nice original with lots of patina and just have all mechanicals gone thru. Will get members help when I am picking my next project :-).

Thanks Hogluvr, would be awesome to see a build thread once you start :-).

Regards,
    Sunny.

Lookin' good there Sunny B! Question, why not stay with your vertical needle ammeter, is it Hoyt? I guess if you've got a really high numbered Chief then it should have the slanted needle, but early Chiefs had the vertical needle and I've yet to find anyone who can definitively say when the change was made. It'll save you some $$$ for that Harley project!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Me as well on my 38. Very nice work Sunny. Looking really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hogluvr View Post
    Looks awesome! Threads like these get me motivated to get my '48 project started. Mine is starting life as a basketcase, still chasing A LOT of parts. Hopefully if I can get it to at least LOOK like a motorcycle I can keep the motivation going. Saving my pennies for Wauseon!!

10. Re: My 1946 Indian Chief a little different now

Hi Pisten-bully thanks. The ammeter I bought is an original us gauge slant ammeter. My chief is cdf-4452 so figured will do whatever was consistent with the later model Chiefs. To keep the horn consistent went with an original sunburst face horn. Not sure when they changed so just went with slant ammeter, it wasn't easy to find and not cheap ��.

Thank you 38Knuckle ��.

Regards,
    Sunny.

Thread Information