Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Ackwards?

Bass Ackwards?

... this is a nice Chief showing up on Ebay right now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Chief...m=301568517569)

and what I'm trying to wrap my head around is the RH shift with the LH brake lever. If it were standard Indian there'd be a LH throttle, but even if it were RH throttle I can't see how having the brake on the opposite side from the shifter would be all that workable... but maybe that's just me?
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Re: Bass Ackwards?

I agree; you can adapt to most any configuration, but your hand should never come off the throttle.

I saw a video of a late 30s Sport Scout on youtube and the guy who built it apparently converted it from left hand throttle to right hand throttle but left the brake lever on the right side.... it was funny watching him try to work the throttle and brake. That might be what's going on with this one.

4. Re: Bass Ackwards?

Hi,
    On an Indian, when the shifter is on the right, the front brake should also be on the right. The throttle would be on the left and the spark advance would be on the right.

On ANY Motorcycle with a Foot Clutch the front brake goes opposite the throttle! But, this way would probably not be that difficult to get used to as EVERY Modern Foot Shift MC out there has the front brake and throttle on the Same Side!

Hydraulic brakes, and spring return throttles do make things different on modern bikes, but throttle control is critical on any vehicle. Just ask a Prius owner

Maybe someone's just overlooked the advantages of putting the handshift (foot clutch) bike's r. brake-opposite its throttle, P-B. Harley, with left-foot clutch and right hand throttle, allows you to hold the bike on a hill with the left hand, use the right-foot to hold the bike UP and still toe-down to go with the left foot

Try to start into motion on an up-hill with a foot clutch. It doesn't work very well (really a PITA) as you need a foot to hold up the bike as you turn the throttle and operate the foot clutch to take off. Go through that drill in your mind on the subject above.
    Last edited by Sarge; 03-27-2015 at 08:31 AM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

I reckon one can get used to anything, and I suppose that bike up top has a RH throttle ... I mean how could it work with LH throttle and LH brake trying to downshift while applying the front brake? But he kept the RH shifter, and if you have RH throttle then your hand needs to come off the throttle every time you change gears. I can ride a Milwaukee hand shift, I can ride a modern foot shifter, and I can ride standard Indian... this would be a fourth or fifth variant and might be too much for my internal logic boards to handle!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

I owned a 74 Sportster big bore, stroker out to 86 inches for many years that I would hold the front brake on and light up the rear tire operating the brake and throttle with the right hand. My thumb and index finger on the gas and other 3 fingers on the front brake. And I always ride with a drag on the throttle even on the new bikes that I rode. I would take one in for a 1000 mile warranty check and it always came back with the drag backed off, I guess those young guys servicing it not care for it.
    Jim D.

Lots of vintage Brit stuff has hand shift levers on the same side as the throttle along with a brake lever and with a hand clutch lever on the left. The hand has to come off the throttle to change gears.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thread Information