Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of correct over re stored 440

Charlottetown, PEI & Kelowna, BC - Canada

Value of correct over re stored 440

Have located a very nice , clean bike. Has Ken Young motor with 1200 miles. Bike has correct pieces however some items which should be painted black OR CAD HAVE BEEN CHROMED AND HAS BEEN PAINTED an incorrect, re AMCA, blue but a very nice paint job. What is something like this worth?

Thanks

Mike
    1926 Peashooter
    1936 EL Knuckle restored 2018
    2008 SE Road King
    1928 JDH (complete restoration June 2014)
    1948 FL
    1948 Chief

2. Re: Value of correct over re stored 440

Hard to judge without photos. They can run the gamut from 60 to just over 100K at a Mecum auction. A 42 Four brought around upper 90's on eBay recently. Post photos more folks will chime in on it's valuation.

Re: Value of correct over re stored 440

Will try to figure out how to add photos, however bike is as described fresh very nice restoration with too much chrome eg kick start lever head light bucket, etc and wrong shade of very nice blue. As well 1942 on ebay for high 90's did not sell.
    1926 Peashooter
    2008 SE Road King
    1948 FL
    1948 Chief

4 cylinder motorcycles are very difficult to asses, unless you're Superman and have X-ray vision. I've had 5 Fours and every one of them has had motor problems, worn out gears, bent rods, scored cranks, etc. etc. A 1940 Four shares many parts with a '40 Chief so the motor, and frame of a Four are the items you are paying a premium for. Indian frames were very well built and if there is a problem, they're easy to fix, and restore. Now this pains me, but there are no well designed American 4 cylinder motors. They (Ace, Cleveland, Henderson, Indian) were weak in all the wrong places, crap aluminum alloys, under powered, cases are prone to warping, and all kinds of top end problems. Although many 4's survived, they were often owned by gorillas that used a hammer, and pipe wrench to maintain them. There are some brilliant people around today that have remedied the short-comings of the American 4's and those are the Fours that command a premium price, and a buyer's confidence. Ken Young helped me a lot on my 1932 Indian 4 and he was one of the few premiere engine builders of those days. I currently have a '17, and '19 Henderson and I think they were pretty good for their day. The aluminum alloy was good, and both cases survived a century of potential abuse. Later Hens (Schwinn years) are supposedly crap aluminum. I could go on and on but my first concern with an Indian 4 would be the motor. Look for case welding, and make sure you hear it run. Carbs, and magnetos can be affordably rebuilt, but 4 cylinder motors cost a fortune to rebuild.

5. Re: Value of correct over re stored 440

Quote Originally Posted by jdhmike View Post
    Will try to figure out how to add photos, however bike is as described fresh very nice restoration with too much chrome eg kick start lever head light bucket, etc and wrong shade of very nice blue. As well 1942 on ebay for high 90's did not sell.
    There have been two '42 Fours in the past month or so on eBay, there was a seafoam blue bike that was a no bid and seller reserve of $120,000. There was an '40 Four asking 90K that had no bids as well but that one wasn't a recent restoration more of a complete older bike. Below is a link to the 42 Four that sold on eBay and was discussed on the form.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...s-for-the-moon
    Last edited by Green Indian; 11-07-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: seafoam not seefood damn auto correct

Thanks for the reply, although you did not give me a number. I tried to send an email with some photos attached but am assuming you did not get it. As indicated this bike has a motor that was done by Ken Young in the late 1980's, then it became an office Queen for 20 years or so, only logged approx 1200 miles since the restoration. The guy I am dealing with is a car guy that bought the bike from the estate of the previous owner. He decided to do a fresh restoration. He also had the motor looked at as the clutch made a squeak and he wanted confirmation that the rest was good. Apparently one of he reasons he purchased the bike was due to the Ken Young rebuild and the fact that it had good unmolested cases, no welds or cracks and it was a numbers correct bike. as well the current owner has sent me a video of the bike running, it sounds great. My issue is I do not mind paying a fair value but do not want to go upside down on the deal. The bike has fresh paint but is not a correct colour for 1940 as well he has been very liberal with the chrome and in fact has chromed some items such as the headlight and the kick start lever. As such I would like to get an idea as to what a fair number would be for this bike.

Thanks

Mike
    1926 Peashooter
    2008 SE Road King
    1948 FL
    1948 Chief

Thanks for the reply, although you did not give me a number. I tried to send an email with some photos attached but am assuming you did not get it. As indicated this bike has a motor that was done by Ken Young in the late 1980's, then it became an office Queen for 20 years or so, only logged approx 1200 miles since the restoration. The guy I am dealing with is a car guy that bought the bike from the estate of the previous owner. He decided to do a fresh restoration. He also had the motor looked at as the clutch made a squeak and he wanted confirmation that the rest was good. Apparently one of he reasons he purchased the bike was due to the Ken Young rebuild and the fact that it had good unmolested cases, no welds or cracks and it was a numbers correct bike. as well the current owner has sent me a video of the bike running, it sounds great. My issue is I do not mind paying a fair value but do not want to go upside down on the deal. The bike has fresh paint but is not a correct colour for 1940 as well he has been very liberal with the chrome and in fact has chromed some items such as the headlight and the kick start lever. As such I would like to get an idea as to what a fair number would be for this bike.

Thanks

Mike
    1926 Peashooter
    2008 SE Road King
    1948 FL
    1948 Chief

The base price is $50k, extra chrome and unusual colors do not affect price, need photos to verify.

With a good motor I would give it a premium value. Chrome can always be removed, and parts can be replaced to make it more correct. Four cylinder motorcycles are the consistent high value motorcycles of our hobby and when other bikes go up and down in price, the 4s are always desired, and will be in the future. To throw a number out there, I would say $75K plus. Actual value is beyond subjective because marketing, and auctions often garner higher prices than actual value. My opinion of value is totally based on how bad I want something, if I think it will make my life better, and if it will make me happy I can't blame you for wanting to get into it for a decent price because that is your job as a buyer, but no one here has a crystal ball to predict the future value of antique motorcycles. . . . At least I've never been able to do that

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    the 4s are always desired, and will be in the future.
    theres a future ? stock up on batteries

Thread Information