Page 868 of 876 FirstFirst ... 368768818858866867868869870 ... LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,680 of 8758

Thread: Vintage Pics of the Day

Re: Vintage Pics of the Day

3. Re: Vintage Pics of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Eric I always like your informative posts so I will respond from the cold North. I do not like the Vard or even the Ben Benson front ends ( that was then, this is now) but in reality Mr Benson a machinist from lowly Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada had the patent during WW2. He sold several hundred locally now prized possessions. He also had a "thing" with Harley.. I'll let it go at that. I have all the original copies from the estate in the 1980's and have been pressured to write the story. But in this legal age, I am hesitant. I met the man once and many considered him to be a misunderstood genius.Ben Benson front ends, could be bought for an Indian or HD, 45 or 74 in the early 40's.... Have owned several. always put the bike back to stock...but lately around here they are gold... enough said
    Hello Ross, I'm always interested in learning more about Hydra-Glide development because of my grandfather's involvement at H-D. With your info on Mr. Benson I was able to locate his patent info and a 1985 Rust-N-Pieces newsletter with reference to Mr. Benson's paper archive. Are you aware of further writings within your chapter newsletters on this subject? I will dig more as time permits.

Just want to mention that I see Mr. Benson's patent applications were presented in Jan and May of 1948, one being granted in July of 1949 and the second in June of 1950. From my information H-D was working on the Hydra-Glide project as early as 1945, they had a styling mockup dating to Nov 1945 and my grandfather along with three other experimental department men took part in a 5,000 mile long distance test trip to the southwest in Nov of 1945 dubbed the Hydra-Glide test trip. I have one photo of my grandfather from this trip on a cycle with an experimental front fork assy that doesn't yet resemble the finished Hydra-Glide. They were testing very early units but they also could have been testing "other" manufacturer product as they often did. I'm looking at the dates & timing thinking that if Mr. Benson's patent app's were filed in the early part of 1948 that H-D would have already begun manufacturing cycles with the Hydra-Glide fork assy for the 1949 model year during the summer of 1948.
    Last edited by badger34; 08-09-2019 at 02:23 PM.

We can get together for sure and I will share. I do not want to take up a lot of space in the photo section...sacred site to me...I have paper work that Mr Benson was in discussions with Harley in 1945 and his patents were approved and submitted by a law firm and signed as the inventor in March of 1945 in Ottawa, the Countries Capital...the US patents came later ..well after legal issues that were resolved...I'm told. He had been selling the front end for at least 4 years prior. I think I wrote those stories back 30 odd years ago....

Ok, I will break my own rule one time. Sent you 2 PM messages today and none went thru. Call me and I'll fill you in on the whole Ben Benson story and share all the patent info I have form his estate Cheers 204 791 4927

When cowboys rode Indians

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We can get together for sure and I will share. I do not want to take up a lot of space in the photo section...sacred site to me...I have paper work that Mr Benson was in discussions with Harley in 1945 and his patents were approved and submitted by a law firm and signed as the inventor in March of 1945 in Ottawa, the Countries Capital...the US patents came later ..well after legal issues that were resolved...I'm told. He had been selling the front end for at least 4 years prior. I think I wrote those stories back 30 odd years ago....
    Could start a whole new thread on this subject . Might be of interest to a lot of people, Just a Thought...
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

Thread Information