Thread: Cat eye lens frames without lens's

Cat eye lens frames without lens's

I've had these for decades and always wondered how they put the lens in the frames.
    Obviously it had to be some sort of press machine but I'm curious on what kind of press.
    Anybody know?

2. Re: Cat eye lens frames without lens's

At sometime, someone removed the lens material from your frames. They could have broken them out. The bottom edge that would hold the lens in is still rolled over. I don't see how you could easily install lenses in your frames but I guess it's possible. When they were made new, a die would roll the edge over,captivating the lens.

Re: Cat eye lens frames without lens's

The frames are stamped out in a progressive die to a certain point. They start out as sheet stock in the raw and then goes threw the steps or stations to cut them and form in the end. The next die the lenses are added in the frames after being parkerized them crimped into place as a tool & die marker I think these could be examples ran first in the set up of the dies set for trial parts they call them or sample parts I keep and take them home from time to time which may not had the lens stock made up or in hand just yet when trying out the dies.

you will have to destroy them to add lense. Progressive die strip picture added

Craig

formingdies_slide_051-copy%20copy.jpg
    Last edited by OLDABEWLA; 10-23-2014 at 07:30 PM.

that is pretty cool!
    it always amazes me at the craftmanship that gois into making the things we find all around us and take for granted. In my opinion creaftsmen and women are the unsung heros of our society.

Quote Originally Posted by 38knuckle View Post
    I've had these for decades and always wondered how they put the lens in the frames.
    Obviously it had to be some sort of press machine but I'm curious on what kind of press.
    Anybody know?

These were probably blackout lenses and someone tried to remove the blackout but screwd up the whole works.

Well this might be a way to put lens's in.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/351600816955

Do you want to part with them?

8. Re: Cat eye lens frames without lens's

I bought a pair of these with parkerized frames. They are very well done & Larry at www.45parts.eu is good to deal with. The Euro is worth about $1.30 US

https://www.45parts.eu/index.php?act...id=103&lang=EN

Larry is great to deal with. He has helped me out a lot over the past 15 years or so. Larry comes to the States often. In fact ...Larry got a hold a hold of me when he scored an nos ammo box. He sent it to me and the price was super fair.

Thread Information