Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heir to an estate

heir to an estate

Need some help or advice. I've just been notified that a long lost relative (my uncle) that had no siblings has pasted away suddenly and without a will and that the state has to go thru his estate and mail to determine what the estate consists of. I've been notified verbally by an attorney that I'm the heir to the estate. I don't know anything about this stuff. The attorney said that I will be given a notice by mail and to wait about 2 weeks so they can determine what the estate consists of. What happens to me? Do in inherit all his debt too if he has any? Just don't have a clue about this stuff.
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

Re: heir to an estate

hmm I'm not an attorney, but I do know that dying is not necessarily cheap and also that debts don't disappear with the deceased. Hopefully there are enough assets (cash and material items or real estate) to cover all the expenses and have some left over. It also makes a BIG difference if the deceased did any estate planning or not... Best of luck.

3. Re: heir to an estate

Hi,
    You don't inherit the deceased person's debt but whatever debt there is may be claimed by the various lenders. You should probably talk with a lawyer experienced with estates to make sure that no funny-business occurs. Beware of fake claims against your uncle's estate. When someone dies, human rats have been known to come out of the woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
    Hi,
    You don't inherit the deceased person's debt but whatever debt there is may be claimed by the various lenders. You should probably talk with a lawyer experienced with estates to make sure that no funny-business occurs. Beware of fake claims against your uncle's estate. When someone dies, human rats have been known to come out of the woodwork.
    Especially if the uncle had motorcycles. The most shameless displays of tactless, insensitive greed I have seen, have been at wakes, and funerals for friends that had old motorcycles.

I did an estate sale that had an executor-the first thing they did was burn everything in a brothers desk-including the original title to a Blue 1944 Knuck-making it worth $75,000 less and harder to sell-be carefull Sean.Recently a friend found $800,000 under his Mother in laws mattress.Another friend bought a house and found $50,000 in sealed baby food jars in the walls of the house--If the notice says to send money to Nigeria.............

now that's funny

If the notice says to send money to Nigeria.............
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

And soon it will render

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1 View Post
    Need some help or advice. I've just been notified that a long lost relative (my uncle) that had no siblings
    How could he be your uncle if he had no siblings? Are you a blood relation to his wife?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1 View Post
    has pasted away suddenly and without a will and that the state has to go thru his estate and mail to determine what the estate consists of. I've been notified verbally by an attorney that I'm the heir to the estate. I don't know anything about this stuff. The attorney said that I will be given a notice by mail and to wait about 2 weeks so they can determine what the estate consists of. What happens to me? Do in inherit all his debt too if he has any? Just don't have a clue about this stuff.
    As already mentioned in this thread, an heir can't inherit whatever debt the person left, but creditors can make a claim against the estate before whatever is left passes to the heirs.

If someone dies intestate (without a will), it can take a long time before things finally get resolved.

I meant no children or surviving siblings.

How do I check the walls for hidden money or rare Motorcycles?
    Last edited by tomcat1; 09-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

And soon it will render

here you go Sean, a step by step guide.

http://www.thepennyhoarder.com/there...w-to-find-it/#.
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

Good luck Sean,
    Dealing with an estate can be very time consuming and frustrating. Do not get rid of anything until you get the time to go through it. Such things as Safe Deposit box keys and the like are often lost . Also be aware thet a certain class(very low) of criminals watch obituaries and the like for prospective burglary locations. If there is no will the entire estate will have to go through probate, a time eating proposition. If there are any known valuables (cash, guns, jewelry, artwork, etc), remove them to a safe location as soon as you can. And definitely talk to a lawyer and your tax man.
    Robbie
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thread Information