Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VIDEO 1929 Harley JD "Before" and "After"

VIDEO 1929 Harley JD "Before" and "After"

Here is a coold video showing a very rough looking 1929 Harley JD that looks like ti was dragged out of the woods after many years of total neglect. Then, thanks to the magic of time and this Harley forum, the bike transforms into a beautiful and strong running motorcycle.

Can't build these cool old JDs from the Harley parts catalog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3wb7-30ivQ
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

My guess is that you have never looked at Competition's catalogue.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post

My guess is that you have never looked at Competition's catalogue.
    Actually I have. I was referring to the Harley parts cataloge from Harley-Davidson with "Genuine" Harley parts.

But I suspect you already knew that.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

The thing I just can't understand is why somebody would go to all the trouble to do a ground up restoration and paint it an improper color and not do all the metal finish correctly. It just seems like a waste of time to me. The only way to fix it is another ground up restoration.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Chris, I agree. This restoration obviously cost this guy a ton whether he did most of it himself or jobbed it out.

It wouldn't have required anymore effort or expense to do it correctly the first time. Just more research. A real puzzler. I guess he wanted to give the next generation something to do.
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    The thing I just can't understand is why somebody would go to all the trouble to do a ground up restoration and paint it an improper color and not do all the metal finish correctly. It just seems like a waste of time to me. The only way to fix it is another ground up restoration.
    Chris, I agree. This restoration obviously cost this guy a ton whether he did most of it himself or jobbed it out.

It wouldn't have required anymore effort or expense to do it correctly the first time. Just more research. A real puzzler. I guess he wanted to give the next generation something to do.

Did you two ever think that this is the way he wanted it?? Maybe he wanted to ride it instead of spending 5 years looking for every original part. Or maybe instead of spending money on the correct metal plating he took that money and put it into the mechanical rebuild. It looks like he is enjoying the bike. Does every motorcycle you two own have everything that they came equipped with from the factory?? If they do not you should be ashamed of yourselfs. Go now, the both of you, and get your bikes in factory correctness ASAP. So you will both not come under the wrath of the Harley Originality Gods (HOG). Oh, wait, you are the Harley Originality Gods. You should be happy that another one of these great old machines is back on the road bringing happiness to it's owner and all who are facinated by them regardless of the originality.

Did you two ever think that this is the way he wanted it?? Maybe he wanted to ride it instead of spending 5 years looking for every original part. Or maybe instead of spending money on the correct metal plating he took that money and put it into the mechanical rebuild. It looks like he is enjoying the bike. Does every motorcycle you two own have everything that they came equipped with from the factory?? If they do not you should be ashamed of yourselfs. Go now, the both of you, and get your bikes in factory correctness ASAP. So you will both not come under the wrath of the Harley Originality Gods (HOG). Oh, wait, you are the Harley Originality Gods. You should be happy that another one of these great old machines is back on the road bringing happiness to it's owner and all who are facinated by them regardless of the originality.[/QUOTE]

You know not of what you speak. Parkerizing and cadmium plating are cheap. The correct color paint costs no more than an incorrect color.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Haugster. I get your drift, but at the core it still doesn't make sense to me. He started with a genuine piece of history, obviously sunk loads of money into it, and ended up with a ghost of what the bike once was. For the same amount of time and money he could have done the bike justice. I just feel that the bike deserved better. A project bike like that doesn't come around everyday, and should be treated with respect, in my opinion.

I also don't expect everyone to feel just as I do about these old relics.

And you crack me up with that Originality God stuff. That was a good one.
    Last edited by DaveSwanson; 09-10-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

Scout101 Guest
    The same sort of "restauration":

Greetings Scout101

Colour

Ok Guys who told you white wasnt a factory option in 29 , ? White , if thats what the camera is telling us it is ,was available as an option. With all the oil leaks from a J god only knows why.
    Scout 101 ,That 34i/35 paint scheme looks fantastic on the J ,pity the motor factory hadent thought of it ! The whole bike is spoilt by what I think is a rather hideous exhaust (my opinion) and the red Timer cover stands out a little too!
    Regards Phil

Thread Information