Thread: '41 UL on ebay

'41 UL on ebay

Ok, I did some homework on this one. I'm going to say every number except the 3's are not '41, the 6 looks like a sad try for a '41 "6". Am I close?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1941-UL-...d7b8b1&vxp=mtr

"The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

Re: '41 UL on ebay

you're correct Alan, pee poor # job

Al, for comparison of some characters, especially the 3, I posted a 1941 45” SN below. I have photos of 3s in some 1941 U-series SNs also but I didn’t use them for one reason or another—for example, one of my UL pictures is misleading regarding one end of the number boss although it is only due to the way the shot was taken.

Anyway, you'll notice in my photo the 3 has a short serif when compared to the other 3s. And I have to wonder if on that alleged UL the stamp used for the 3s was really sans serif and then serifs were applied to the boss later on. I also wonder if the serif at bottom right of the L was added later. Normally for factory-stamped 1941 model U-series SNs I would expect all the usual letters (U, L and H) to be sans serif.

Regarding the 6, yes you could say it looks like a sad try for a 1941 6. But it looks even more like a sad try for the type of 6 usually found in the year portion of most, but maybe not all, 1969 SNs. The back is straight and vertical as we’d expect, but for 1941 I'd be looking for the lower section to be circular.
    Eric

Thanks Eric, those 3's definetly look wonky compared to the pic you posted.
    "The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” ~ Jacques Cousteau

Al C

1942 WLA Civy Custom
    1928 JDL Special Sport Solo (Basket)

Thread Information