Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Frame 101 Scout

Short Frame 101 Scout

Hi all
    I have a short frame 28 runner as well as a 28 101 almost ready for the road
    Regards Phil

Quote Originally Posted by vlscout View Post
    Hi all
    I have a short frame 28 runner as well as a 28 101 almost ready for the road
    Regards Phil
    Sounds cool. Photos please....
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

101 ,s in the Midst

Howdy All
    Just a photo of my 101 project along with the 28 Short Fame Scout
    Regards Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Sorry if this is a simple question, but what makes it a short frame model?

Dual Carb - 2 carbs are better than 1

Classic Harley Magazine
    Vincent Motorcycles

Why is it a Short Frame

Ok here goes
    Early in 28 Indian produced the 28 thru bolt type motor in a pre 101 series Engine series would be CG/CGP frame ,My engine is DGP as it was replaced at some stage as was the rear wheel(741) I have correct wheel now and am on the trail of a correct series crankcase set!
    Not so many of these around but Australia seemed to get a good share of them. This is my 3rd one and do know of a few more .
    Very agile bike but dosent handle like a 101
    I belive Jerry Hatfield Claimed that after March 28 the short frame was discontinued .The 101 beeing a few inches longer !
    Regards Phil

Re: Short Frame 101 Scout

Is this frame basically the same as 1926 -27 , dimension wise , fork rake , neck cast ??

the down tubes look more sloped . seat cast is like 26 -27 except for the ears for the springs. top fork cone same as 28 ?

7. Re: Short Frame 101 Scout

the 1927 45 frames had a brake cross shaft for the first time. The general dimensions are similar to the ones of the Scouts of earlier years.

If you compare the red and blue bike in VLscouts reply #3 you can spot the difference between a short frame Scout and 101. The most obvious and easily spotted is the distance between the seat downtube and rear fender, short Scout has a short distance. Short Scouts also has a slightly longer tank with another top curvature than the 101. Short Scouts has detail differences btw. years. 1920-21, 22-23, 24, 25-26, 27G, 27GP, 28 for different frames but I think basic dimensions are similar.

Another detail that can separate a short Scout from a 101 can be seen at the downtube below the footboards, the short Scouts has an unbroken tube with a bend and the engines have dual pedestal front mounts where the 101 have cast knees with a sharp angle and one bolt through the crankcase. Well, a truth with a twist.

All previous Scouts had that unbroken downtubes but with one exception. As it was found the pedestal mounts broke off easily with the stronger motor, so in late 27 the motor (stamped CG and CGP) was changed with a snout at the front, and the frame got knees. For a period during 1928 the short frame Scout was produced parallell with the 101. Those 101's had the same motor but stamped DG and DGP. The new front brake was fitted that year on all models and for what I know, all where also fitted with the bigger clutch inherited from the Chief.

In -27 when the 45ci was introduced, it came with a rear brake different from the regular 37ci mount G model (stamped BG xxx). The 45 GP model (stamped BGP xxx) was equipped with a bigger rear brake also inherited from the Chief, on the left side of the bike and had a cross over shaft below the gearbox. Easy spotted. Harder to spot is that in -27 perhaps not all, but most 45's got the bigger clutch.
    Last edited by Charlie1012000; 05-29-2016 at 01:56 AM.
    Charlie 101

here is a pic of 1927 frame which is the same as a 26 , obvious diff is the hoops on the axle plates and the ears for the seat springs , everything else is the same for 26 and 27.

there is an upside down "2" cast on the neck cast ,lower right for both 26 and 27.

the 101 long frame has more rake on the neck , wether there are 2 different casts ......I dont know ??

does the 101 short frame have the cast "2" on the neck ?

IF ... the 101 short frame is the same as a 1927 with same rake, dimensions then couldnt a 27 frame be turned into a 101 short frame by using cast knees replacing the pedestall mounts ? (and cross over)

IF all scouts use the same neck cast then ,increased rake is achieved by leaning the 101 down tubes back , they are steeper , thats what caught my eye in vlscouts pic , the down tubes are slanted like 1920 - 27

101 has 2 frame part numbers = 35E199 and 35E15x1 but also 2 fork p/n = 28D88 and 35D194
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Friday; 01-15-2015 at 09:14 PM.

According to "101 shop manual" page 18H , the 101 fork rake is 30 degrees and 45 degrees to that, the down tubes are 15 degrees.

Thread Information