Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Removal

1. Rust Removal

I am relatively new to this forum, but I keep seeing pics of rusty parts. I presume everyone knows about oxalic acid, etc. How about molasses? I use a 55 gal plastic drum cut in half, put 2 gals of sorghum molasses in 10 gals of water, and I have the best rust remover I have ever seen. It will dissolve (actually chemically break down) the heaviest coats of rust with zero damage to the metal, including aluminum. Simply pop the parts in the solution, leave it for a week or ten days for massive rust, and the parts come out rust free with just a black slime on them. Wash them off and oil them (or prime them), and they are ready to go. The parts will be a light grey color (raw steel or iron). Great for finned cylinders. It is best to wash off old oil, dirt, and grease first - I use a pressure washer. The solution last a long time, and a crust forms on the top. Just remove the crust and its good to go again.

I get my sorghum molasses from a local farmer, usually molasses left over from the previous season. If you buy it off the net, you will pay way too much for the stuff ($35 to $50/gal plus shipping).

Hope this helps. If this subject has previously been discussed, please ignore all.

Jim

Re: Rust Removal

That is one of many ways to remove rust. Sandblasting, soaking in White vinegar, and electronic rust removal are also good ways to remove rust at home. For the molasses type I buy horse feed molasses.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

3. Re: Rust Removal

Good luck finding horse feed molasses. We can't even order it here (Eastern NC). I am aware of all the other methods, but molasses has the the ability to handle big parts like Model A wheels at a minor cost. I found two model A wheels in an old dump site, dropped them in the barrel, and presto - they looked like new except for the pits in a week. Sandblasting removes metal, which isn't desirable. Bead blasting is preferable.

Nice web site. Just trying to help.

Jim

Well KHK, If I can find horse feed molases in Los Angeles I can't imagine not being able to find it in NC.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Well KHK, If I can find horse feed molases in Los Angeles I can't imagine not being able to find it in NC.
    I think you can find just about anything in Los Angeles.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Very funny, and without a doubt, true.

7. Re: Rust Removal

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Well KHK, If I can find horse feed molasses in Los Angeles I can't imagine not being able to find it in NC.
    No ag molasses available at all in these parts. No one grows sorghum anymore since corn fructose syrup took over the markets. I live on a farm, and I know one farmer in Eastern NC who grows sorghum, and he only does it because he puts on a sorghum festival every year. LA has a whole lot of things we don't (Crips, Bloods, Linsay Lohan, and .... sorghum molasses).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    No ag molasses available at all in these parts. No one grows sorghum anymore since corn fructose syrup took over the markets. I live on a farm, and I know one farmer in Eastern NC who grows sorghum, and he only does it because he puts on a sorghum festival every year. LA has a whole lot of things we don't (Crips, Bloods, Linsay Lohan, and .... sorghum molasses).

Jim
    Very funny as well, and no doubt true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Take a walk on the wild side.

10. Re: Rust Removal

2015 update, started with molasses, then found out that its actually sugar that does the deed, so I just used sugar, and it worked great, dissolve as much sugar into hot water as it will hold, add parts, seal it up tight, wait for six weeks and stand back! Lately though I have been using metal rescue, which does the same thing but in 24 hours or less. The label does not say whats in it, but it does say it is safe, re usable (a few times) and can safely be poured down the sink when used up. Parts look the same as when done with mollases or sugar, rust turns into black slime that washes off with water.

Thread Information