Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: generator overcharging.

generator overcharging.

I fried my battery on my 46-6v system. Its definetly running too hot on the voltage.
    I need to tone down the 3rd brush, and am having a hard time finding info on doing the adjustment.
    Would sure appreciate some help.
    Have the stock style gennie and single coil stock style cut out.
    Thx for any help. Kevin.

Re: generator overcharging.

Do you have problem of finding the 3rd brush location or what way you should turn it?
    You can adjust the generator by placing a voltmeter across the battery posts, and set the brush to show just above 7.5 volts at a fast idle. If you drive at night, adjust with the lights on. Otherwise, leave them off. To increase the charging rate, move the third brush (center) in the direction of spinning rotation. To decrease the rate move it the other way. It doesn't take much movement of the brush. A more crude way to adjust is to watch the amp gauge charge the battery more or less.
    Charlie 101

Finding the 3rd brush loc is my problem. i havent screwed around with a gennie b4.
    Thx.

Didn't find a good picture of an Indian gen. on the net and I am not entirely familiar with the gen you have. As many generators are similar, perhaps this will help. http://1931chevrolet.com/specs11.htm This one require the cover band to be removed.
    Last edited by Charlie1012000; 08-14-2013 at 12:06 AM.
    Charlie 101

Same poblem I was having. Now its suddenly making sense why the band is on there. I was thinking I had to acess the pully end of the gennie.
    Thanks Charlie.
    Kevin

You're welcome!
    Charlie 101

7. Re: generator overcharging.

Hi,
    The Indian Chief Auto-Lite generator has four windows under the brush band. One of the windows shows the main negative brush, one window shows the main positive brush, one window shows the third brush, and the fourth window shows no brushes. The third brush window and the main positive brush window may show more than one brush depending on your charge rate adjustment. I was helping another person with a generator issue and I prepared a nice set of pictures. The set of pictures has two components. One component is the pictures with no text and the other component is the pictures with text. The photos are of a high-output generator but the pictures also apply to a very large extent to the standard output (cutout only) generator. To make it somewhat simple I will first add the no text photo than follow with the text photo. I'll add only two photos to this particular reply. I'll follow in a few minutes with the rest.

8. Re: generator overcharging.

Hi,
    Here we have the main negative brush showing in this window. The braided uninsulated ground wire is the give-away that this is the main negative brush.

9. Re: generator overcharging.

Hi,
    Here we have the window opposite the third brush window. No brushes are seen in this window.

10. Re: generator overcharging.

Hi,
    Here we have the positive main brush window with the third brush adjusted for maximum output.

Thread Information