Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Tour Glide

1982 Tour Glide

Have a chance to purchase, clean good running. Any watch outs for that year? Also, not a great fan of the fairing in today's world, I have considered changing the nose to a Electra style front end. Thoughts?

2. Re: 1982 Tour Glide

Quote Originally Posted by Chromed66 View Post
    Have a chance to purchase, clean good running. Any watch outs for that year? Also, not a great fan of the fairing in today's world, I have considered changing the nose to a Electra style front end. Thoughts?
    I don't really know of any "watchouts" for that year but have noticed there are some really good deals on them. As for changing the front end you could be in for a lot of work and expense. Plus you would need to change the tank to mount a speedo there. I had all of this done on my '85 FLT thirteen years ago when it was wrecked. There used to be a kit by Xzotic called "king of the road" that included all of the parts you would need headlight, tank, speedo, etc. but I don't think its available any more. The kit cost me two grand back then but the
    insurance money paid for it. If you just want to get rid of the fixed fairing a cheaper way to go might be to use the headlight assy. and speedo. and tach. from a FLTC and a standard windshield. Bill's Custom Cycles in Berwick, Pa. has a lot of NOS FLT stuff. It's really reasonable too. Otherwise you could probably use Roadking stuff as they use basically the same frame, but even used Roadking stuff can be expensive. Hope this has been of some help.

Re: 1982 Tour Glide

My younger brother switched around the tank/fairing set up on his wife's 85. We found most of the stuff pretty cheap.
    VPH-D

As a second thought, if you going to settle for that style frame, why not get one with the Evo motor? None of the 80s bikes cost that much on the used market, and you might find one without that monsterous fairing/gauge set up. Sorry, I'm prejudiced against those early FLTs, I filed way too many warranty claims on them back when they were new...
    VPH-D

I converted this 2 winters ago from Fltc to Flh. Itts a bit of work with wiring, paint, scrounging gauges, etc etc etc.
    it can be done and salvages a butt ugly flt. it is probably cheaper to do it to a shovel though.
    caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?11586-Flt-to-Flh-conversion
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...Flh-conversion
    Last edited by skeeter; 08-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.

I am guessing it would be a lot of work and money to change the front end around. The FLTs have the big square backbone as well.
    I guess I'm the odd man out because I like the FLT. It's a very comfortable ride.

All the modern dressers are based on the FLT, so it is a very successful design. My dislike for the early ones is due to teething problems when they came out.
    VPH-D

Quote Originally Posted by rwilly View Post
    I am guessing it would be a lot of work and money to change the front end around. The FLTs have the big square backbone as well.
    I guess I'm the odd man out because I like the FLT. It's a very comfortable ride.
    Not too bad. Strip the fairing off, remove the stand off bracket for the fairing. Disco the gauge harness. Pull the gauges and the supporting structure for the gauges, remove the turn signals,etc. I sold the whole assembly to a guy for $400 bucks.
    Swap the risers from left to right, then you will need to find the flh bars (in my case) with the air valve on the end, the flt bars will not fit.
    You need new clutch cable, and speedo cable and light bar. You will have clearance problems with modern hd cd radio with
    the speedo cable, but you can make it fit with 3" longer speedo cable.
    The wiring harness colors are the same, but they just lay the harness into the flt fairing, so that takes a good long while to work it into place.
    New fairing brackets at $120 from hd, don't bother with ebay, there all broken or bent.
    I scabbed the connectors off my gauge cluster, but it would have neater to make up ne molex connectors. by scrabbling the connectors you screw over the guy that buys your gauges.
    All in all, it's a lot of watching on the bay for the little bits and piece's. You can reuse the fuel and air gauges with new cups from hd. The speedo and tach were a bitch to mount. I ended up using flexible rubber pipe repair sleeves, but only used about 1/2" of the center with the raised rib that normally would hold the ends of the pipe apart. O rings or square shouldered o rings would be better if you can find them, but I couldnt at the hardware store.
    It's a bit overwhelming at first, especially itemizing in all the wiring and not screwing it up.
    Last edited by skeeter; 08-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.

9. Re: 1982 Tour Glide

This is my 1980 FLT. Took it completely apart rebuilt/replaced/repaired everything. Tank is from a 2006 FLTR and fits this frame without modifications. Old style fairing replaces the ugly behemoth that was original. New exhaust, 40 spoke wheels, drilled front rotors plus a whole lot more. It can be done if you are willing to take the time and do the work and research the parts that fit or are adaptable.

Cheers,

Git-man
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was really excited when the FLT came out. I saw it at the Dealer convention in Reno in '79 and thought it was very cool. I actually liked the look then and still do. I ordered a new one as soon as I got back and put my '65 on the market to help finance it. I tried to get a brown one but all they were initially sending were black, so I took a black one. (Never been a fan of black bikes, the worlds most boring finish except on a BMW) I loved it right up to the moment a drunk decided I didn't need it anymore, much less my life. luckily for me (just not for you guys) I kept the latter. Last new bike I ever bought.
    Robbie
    Many of you have seen this pic before..

Thread Information