Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Cannonball 2014 Announced. My Blog Posting

Motorcycle Cannonball 2014 Announced. My Blog Posting

OK, now what do I do?

First of many blog postings leading up to the 2014 event on the blog side of this site (click on the Classic American Iron logo on top left side of this page)

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2013...-what-do-i-do/
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: Motorcycle Cannonball 2014 Announced. My Blog Posting

Hey Buzz,
    We should all be so lucky to have to make as tough a choice! I would lean toward either your '29 as it is a known item and just get it ready to go. For your stated journalistic purposes, either your '36 VLH or the Indian Scout would be a good choice. The reason I would leave the Knuck off the list is because even though it is an antique bike by its age, it is a fairly modern design, you know overhead valves, decent brakes, good lights, reliable electrics, etc., and I thought the idea of the Cannonball Run was to do it on the really old design iron. I would hate to see the Run just sort of fade out of existence because the bikes sort of have become 'belly button" machines too similar to the new bikes.
    I know the machines ridden in the first two runs were high dollar purpose built machines, far out of the affordability range of most of us, with better parts than the old original bikes have now. However, most of them were true to the original designs which were truly "antique". A lot more of a challenge to do it with the true antiques.
    Just my opinion....
    Ron

3. Re: Motorcycle Cannonball 2014 Announced. My Blog Posting

There is a year and a half left. I would wait a year and 5 months. Do what you can on the Scout with a month left. Finish up in the parking lot the night before and fix the rest on the ride.

Piece of cake!
    If you don't try, you have a 100% chance of not succeeding.

What will the $2500 entry fee cover ?

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Hey Buzz,
    We should all be so lucky to have to make as tough a choice! I would lean toward either your '29 as it is a known item and just get it ready to go. For your stated journalistic purposes, either your '36 VLH or the Indian Scout would be a good choice. The reason I would leave the Knuck off the list is because even though it is an antique bike by its age, it is a fairly modern design, you know overhead valves, decent brakes, good lights, reliable electrics, etc., and I thought the idea of the Cannonball Run was to do it on the really old design iron. I would hate to see the Run just sort of fade out of existence because the bikes sort of have become 'belly button" machines too similar to the new bikes.
    I know the machines ridden in the first two runs were high dollar purpose built machines, far out of the affordability range of most of us, with better parts than the old original bikes have now. However, most of them were true to the original designs which were truly "antique". A lot more of a challenge to do it with the true antiques.
    Just my opinion....
    Ron
    All good points. Thanks. And I do not take my assortment of wonderful bikes for granted. It has taken me a long time and a lot of work to get what I have and I appreciate them all.
    Buzz Kanter

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Quote Originally Posted by GreasySideUp View Post
    There is a year and a half left. I would wait a year and 5 months. Do what you can on the Scout with a month left. Finish up in the parking lot the night before and fix the rest on the ride.

Piece of cake!
    Hmnnnn... sounds a bit familiar. But I didn't buy my 101 on Craigslist... does that matter? :-)
    Buzz Kanter

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Kanter View Post
    All good points. Thanks. And I do not take my assortment of wonderful bikes for granted. It has taken me a long time and a lot of work to get what I have and I appreciate them all.

I only have 1 that qualifies, so I am in on the N. GA. 101.

I think we need an even bigger tribe of Injuns than 2012. Ride the 101! (you have already done it on the JDH)

Fired up to be apart in 2014.

The JDH deserves a second chance! After all, it wasn't the motorcycle's fault that it ended up on the truck for one short ride.... It's a great bike after all but it won't run on water!

Except maybe this time, spend a few extra cents on the gasoline you feed it

Seriously, that would be great to see it go again!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

9. Re: Motorcycle Cannonball 2014 Announced. My Blog Posting

Hi Buzz, decisions-decisions, whatever you choose will be fun. I like the jdh it's an oldie and only sold to the public for two years so a lot of folks have never seen one . When your cruising along how often do you have to pump oil into the base ? Good Luck, Paul

Well I have contacted Lonnie, and plan on riding a 36EL (that I currently do not have). I have been collecting parts to build a 36 for my dad for 3 years now and I would say that it is 90-95 % complete at this point. He says he is going to ride with me on his 36 so now I have to find the major parts for a 36 and get to work assembling 2 of them in the next 1.5 years should be fun.

Anybody have a spare 36 motor, frame, and springer laying around? I have most of the other parts, I will build it as close as possible to correct but getting every correct part is a bit unrealistic for the time frame

Thread Information